[WARNING] Microsoft has a superfast new version of Windows 10 to take on Google — with one big trade-off

I'm not sure why there is such a fit on here about this. This is a OS aimed at the Chromebook crowd. Schools who need an OS that is locked down and can't be f'd up by the student user base. With some retooling, I could see this setup work in the Corporate world. And unlike Windows RT if you really need the full version of Windows it can be had with just a click in the Windows Store.

This... So much knee-jerk reaction here. Not sure why almost everyone wants to bite the hand that feeds them.

So why is a Chromebook OK, and a "Windows" book not?

Rick

This... So much knee-jerk reaction here. Not sure why almost everyone wants to bite the hand that feeds them.

So why is a Chromebook OK, and a "Windows" book not?

Rick
I'm agreeing with you Rick, Apple lock down the OS all is great Microsoft do it the world has ended and Microsoft are trying to control it. Google do a Chromebook all is great Microsoft are going to do it the world has ended again.

Reactions: GTP
I'm agreeing with you Rick, Apple lock down the OS all is great Microsoft do it the world has ended and Microsoft are trying to control it. Google do a Chromebook all is great Microsoft are going to do it the world has ended again.

I think people are this way because they're done giving up root. If you don't have root, you don't own the box. And there are hordes of reasons out there for it. MS is the last really open platform in this regard, and people are worried about the desktop side closing up. I suppose it might have to at some point, but I really don't want to see it.

Interesting article on why Windows 10S was designed as it is, and a fair bit of Windows history thrown in for good measure.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-wi..._thumb_featured&ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=98367911

Rick

That was a really good article. Well written. The bias was there, but nicely balanced =)

I am intrigued at this new direction. Hate the idea of not being able to install whatever application I want, just because it isn't approved by Big Brother, but I also see the potential that this would offer for seniors and low-tech users. I don't have, but really want a Chrome Book. I think this would be even better. Especially if it allows me to turn any system in my boneyard into a sleek, secure Windows Book.

Back