New Microsoft Edge rolling out to Windows 10 via Windows Update

Porthos

Reaction score
Microsoft's new Chromium-based Edge web browser is rolling out automatically via Windows Update to customers using Windows 10 1803 or later.

The new Chromium-based version of Microsoft Edge will be delivered as KB4559309 to all users and it will replace the legacy Edge browser on all Windows 10 2004, Windows 10 1909, Windows 10 1903, Windows 10 1809, and Windows 10 1803 devices.

KB4559309 also replaces the KB4541302 and KB4541301 updates that were previously offered when Microsoft started the browser's roll out to Windows 10 Insiders in the Release Preview ring during February 2020.

windows-update-pushing-edge.png

New Microsoft Edge rolling out to Windows Insiders
Old making way for the new
The KB4559309 support article provides additional information about the changes this update will make after being installed.

Thus, while Windows 10 users could previously install the legacy Microsoft Edge browser and uninstall it at any time, the new Microsoft Edge cannot be removed.

"The new Microsoft Edge does not support the removal of this update," Microsoft explains in the support article.

"The current version of Microsoft Edge will be hidden from UX surfaces in the OS. This includes settings, applications, and any file or protocol support dialog boxes,"

Additionally, any "attempts to start the current version of Microsoft Edge will redirect to the new Microsoft Edge."

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...rolling-out-to-windows-10-via-windows-update/

Thank God!! Original Edge has never been "ready for primetime" and even the development versions of the new Chromium-based Edge were superior to it almost from the first one.

I cannot wait until I don't have to deal with the ambiguity of, "Which Edge are you using?," then having to explain that if you can hit ALT+F,B,M and get to the About tab that shows the version, you're in the new Edge, and if you get nothing, you're in the old. And before anyone says it, yes, I do prefer using keyboard shortcuts for this as I work with both blind and sighted individuals, and using such gets you to that destination much faster than point and click does.

I've been strongly encouraging anyone I have to work with to download new Edge ever since the stable version was made available for download.

Now - that's what I call a challenge!

Why in God's name do people want to remove components that ship with any OS?!!

If you don't use it, it lies there, fallow, hurting nothing, taking up nothing but a tiny smidgen of disk space.

And for those who would even think about trying to dig around and remove the legacy Edge components entirely - don't. They are being kept because a lot of Windows 10 still requires the presence of the EdgeHTML rendering engine. If you want to break Windows 10 entirely you'll try it.

The ideas, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!," and, "Leave well enough alone!," need to be emphasized again and again and again. And techs should know them by heart.

Don't worry - I have no intention of ricketing one of my own machines finding out if it's possible. But that statement will be like a red rag to a bull to some in the tech world.

Don't worry - I have no intention of ricketing one of my own machines finding out if it's possible. But that statement will be like a red rag to a bull to some in the tech world.

And those idiotic enough to "charge for charging's sake" deserve exactly what they'll get.

Back