[WARNING] Microsoft has a superfast new version of Windows 10 to take on Google — with one big trade-off

Porthos

Reaction score
The S stands for "streamlined, significant performance, and security," Microsoft Windows boss Terry Myerson said onstage at Microsoft's event. Myerson said the S also stands for the "soul" of the operating system.

This new version of Windows 10 is a direct shot at Chrome OS, Google's lightweight, browser-based operating system, which has led cheaper Chromebooks to unseat Apple as the No. 2 player in the global education market, behind Microsoft Windows, in only about five years.

But the perks of Windows 10 S come with a trade-off: You'll be able to download and run apps from only the Windows Store, the app store built into Windows 10. That means, at the very least, that you're stuck with Microsoft Edge, the browser built into Windows 10, since Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox aren't (currently) in the Windows Store.
However, this approach has some ancillary benefits. Because Windows 10 S won't let you run any software that hasn't been vetted by Microsoft for the Windows Store, the chance of getting infected by nasty viruses or malware is greatly reduced. That's a big deal for schools — and anyone nontechnical.

The full desktop versions of Microsoft Office are coming to the Windows Store "soon," Myerson said.

http://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/microsoft-windows-10-s-2017-4-1001969975

But the perks of Windows 10 S come with a trade-off: You'll be able to download and run apps from only the Windows Store, the app store built into Windows 10. That means, at the very least, that you're stuck with Microsoft Edge, the browser built into Windows 10, since Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox aren't (currently) in the Windows Store.
However, this approach has some ancillary benefits. Because Windows 10 S won't let you run any software that hasn't been vetted by Microsoft for the Windows Store, the chance of getting infected by nasty viruses or malware is greatly reduced. That's a big deal for schools — and anyone nontechnical.
Just tonight a friend of mine was remarking on how well the iPhone works when I said it's basically a computer in your pocket. I went on to explain that the iPhone and its ecosystem work so well is that Apple controls it from top to bottom - they make the hardware, software and they vet every app that want's to play in their game. Looks like Microsoft is taking the same approach. I think its a good move.

I'm not sure why there is such a fit on here about this. This is a OS aimed at the Chromebook crowd. Schools who need an OS that is locked down and can't be f'd up by the student user base. With some retooling, I could see this setup work in the Corporate world. And unlike Windows RT if you really need the full version of Windows it can be had with just a click in the Windows Store.

I'm not sure why there is such a fit on here about this. This is a OS aimed at the Chromebook crowd. Schools who need an OS that is locked down and can't be f'd up by the student user base. With some retooling, I could see this setup work in the Corporate world. And unlike Windows RT if you really need the full version of Windows it can be had with just a click in the Windows Store.
When the el-chepo crowd gets these and tries to use them as regular laptops and asks why they can't do something they won't like the cost of the solution. The upgrade to regular Win 10 will not be cheap and these computers will be underpowered for it.

I see a few resets coming when they screw them up. $$$$

When the el-chepo crowd gets these and tries to use them as regular laptops and asks why they can't do something they won't like the cost of the solution. The upgrade to regular Win 10 will not be cheap and these computers will be underpowered for it.

I see a few resets coming when they screw them up. $$$$
And that is any different than now? PC makers already sell underpowered crap.

This will be great for schools, locked down so that the little cherubs can't wreck the OS (as easily). And when they out grow it, upgrade to 10 Pro for $49

Tech Crunch mentions it as well but I'm not sure if that was for everybody or just for the people that purchase that new Surface Book that was also introduced.

In all honesty, these will have some appeal but the issue isn't going to be directly with MS, but rather the ODM and OEM as to how each machine is provisioned.

Hardware will play a key role. The sad part is, I see Vendors using up old stock of Geode, Atom and other low power Celeron chips to fill this void.

So those speed improvements won't last long. And you can be sure these systems will have mechanical 5400 RPM drives unless they decide to put eMMC, which would be a decent comprise because it will be faster than your average spinner.

I would see a decent educational model being i3, 4GB, 64GB eMMC, HDMI out. If that spec comes out at say $300-500 US, I'm sure schools will buy. But if it's low end crap filler, itl be a dud.

It was in The Guardian this morning. https://goo.gl/3dcleV
"Windows 10 S will boot 15 seconds faster than a comparable machine running Windows 10 Pro"

If that's the case, then my computer would boot 5 seconds before I could hit the power button, in fact, it would/should boot just by me thinking about powering it on. Why? Because my Windows 10 Pro machine - from power off - boots to the desktop in about 10 seconds.

Now for it to boot 15 seconds faster on a "comparable" machine as they claim, the machine must be a total piece of garbage.

Back