Microsoft Admits It Incorrectly Upgraded Some Windows 10 Users to v1709

TechLady

Reaction score
"Accident." They keep having these "accidents" with Windows 10.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ctly-upgraded-some-windows-10-users-to-v1709/

"Microsoft admitted last week that it incorrectly updated some Windows 10 users to the latest version of the Windows 10 operating system —version 1709— despite users having specifically paused update operations in their OS settings. The admission came in a knowledge base article updated last week. Not all users of older Windows versions were forcibly updated, but only those of Windows 10 v1703 (Creators Update)."

How many more times will Microsoft make these blunders? And when will they take responsibility for their actions and reimburse my clients due to the bad patch that caused so many black screens of death?

As a business owner, it is very frustrating when clients who were on Windows 7 or 8.1 were recommended to upgrade to Windows 10 and their patches render their computers useless. Customers lose money over it and us business owners lose either money from satisfying complaining clients with either free or discounted reinstall of the OS either with or without data recovery or lose the clients all together.

How many more times will Microsoft make these blunders? And when will they take responsibility for their actions and reimburse my clients due to the bad patch that caused so many black screens of death?
You know the answer to that.

When there is a legitimately competitive OS and software ecosystem.

Right now they can just do whatever they want and the only thing that can reign them in even slightly is lawsuits for doing illegal things.

Right now they can just do whatever they want and the only thing that can reign them in even slightly is lawsuits for doing illegal things.
We should band all IT business owners together and file a class A. I wonder what if anything that would accomplish? Also, wonder if anyone would talk to a business lawyer and see just exactly what something like that would take. Hmmm... :rolleyes:

We should band all IT business owners together and file a class A. I wonder what if anything that would accomplish? Also, wonder if anyone would talk to a business lawyer and see just exactly what something like that would take. Hmmm... :rolleyes:
It still wont solve the problem of MS having no competition. They can continue doing things that are not best for their customers in any number of ways and still be fine because they're the only name in the game. Apple seems content with milking the consumer market, all Linux distros seem content with being a niche product. Honestly, my guess will be Google will eventually go after M$ (they are already dabling in PC operating systems, business class systems, PC and networking hardware). At that point there will finally be competition to both companies to entice them to think about customer response before doing anything.

For companies that don't have a big set of legacy files and applications it's probably possible to move a surprising amount of it to cloud-based options and non-Windows machines (Chromebooks, iPads, Android tablets, even laptops with locked-down or even PXE Linux). For larger companies with only a few Windows-specific apps that's still viable with Citrix or RDS sharing just those applications from terminal servers. The available apps may not be as full-featured as the "full" versions, but most of those features are things that few people will miss because they already don't know they exist.

Edit: We have a (mostly former) customer that was bought out by a larger medical group. They're still running a few of their existing systems because that group hasn't finished figuring out how to migrate their EMR install, but all of the day-to-day is now in Epic on locked-down Chromebooks.

Edit 2: Along with RDP clients, there's been a Citrix Receiver for Chromebooks for 3+ years, and I'm sure quite a bit longer than that for Android and iOS. There's your shared desktop apps right there.

Last edited:
For companies that don't have a big set of legacy files and applications it's probably possible to move a surprising amount of it to cloud-based options and non-Windows machines (Chromebooks, iPads, Android tablets, even laptops with locked-down or even PXE Linux). For larger companies with only a few Windows-specific apps that's still viable with Citrix or RDS sharing just those applications from terminal servers. The available apps may not be as full-featured as the "full" versions, but most of those features are things that few people will miss because they already don't know they exist.
Having worked for a sales office of a mid sized company, I can tell you that people will miss those features. It may only be 10% of the people who use them, but the second they are told by the IT guy that they cannot do that thing on that computer, there'd be hell to pay. Management would throw out all the chromebooks and get real Windows PCs again to install proper Office 2016.

Mid-large sized office environments are all about making management's life easier. And getting complaints from end-users that they can't do their job properly without this one specific feature means company wide changes to get rid of that complaint. And they won't just give those couple people full Windows PCs, because then everyone will want them, because everyone knows they're better.

And what managed software platforms are available to Chromebooks? There's no Solarwinds or anything that can have as much control over a Chromebook as a Windows PC. Can Chromebooks even be HIPPA compliant? What VPN systems work on Chromebooks? What softphones? What headsets? ETC.

Like I said, Google is probably in the best position to take on M$, but they're still a long, long way off.

And what managed software platforms are available to Chromebooks? There's no Solarwinds or anything that can have as much control over a Chromebook as a Windows PC. Can Chromebooks even be HIPPA compliant?

Not sure about that - I've never worked with them, but with the push to get them into locked-down education environments I'd be astonished if there weren't some fairly heavy duty management capabilities. Similar with lockdown against file storage, installation, etc. as far as HIPAA goes.

What VPN systems work on Chromebooks?

Perhaps a whitelist of allowed wireless networks and no ability to add additional ones? In the practice I'm losing I suspect they'd be just fine with "It's a brick if it's not inside one of our facilities."

As for softphones, not allowed? Headsets, probably anything with a 2.5mm plug. Not sure if voice recognition is even a possibility, but my understanding is that things have improved immensely in terms of voice recognition on average hardware - at least based on discussion I've read about the newer versions of Dragon and Dragon Medical.

Back