mcafee personal firewall

4ycr

Reaction score
Had a Client that had the Zero access plus a few other stuff on her laptop that got through Mcafee. After I removed it I still had some problems with McAfee so I uninstalled it and ran the removal tool.

I then reinstalled it and it it was fine except she could not log in to her account from the software. Anyway she had a link to a patch that a Mcafee support member gave her. This allowed her to log in to her account and register the product but not the personal firewall does not start. I get an error 1075 every time.

SO far google has said to remove and re-install but then I will be back to square one with the registration.

McAfee site also said to delete files in hackerwatch\data and reboot. easier said than done but used a live CD to move the files just encase but still get the same problem.

McAfee reports the firewall as running but when you go into the settings it says it is turned off. The core firewall service is running but not the personal one.

She is running Windows 7 64bit with McAfee internet security 2012.

She had trouble upgrading to IS 2012 from 2011 and had Mcafee support on for 3 hours, that is where she got the patch from.

Maybe its time to suggest an AV that actually works, doesn't suck, and doesn't require 3 hours of support to upgrade.

Maybe its time to suggest an AV that actually works, doesn't suck, and doesn't require 3 hours of support to upgrade.

+1 I have been in this kind of situation before. You try desperately to make the customers software work but you know there are easier solutions for many things.

Unless a customer REALLY REALLY needs that product I would find an alternative that works and the customer gets their machine back quicker and next time you find a solution quicker.

Sure, we all would love to find the REAL solution, but if it takes this much work just to make it stable, imagine if you/they have more problems in the future and you are back to struggling with this mess again ?

I'm sure you've tried the McAfee Removal Utility to remove it before you reinstall but have you tried using the McAfee PreInstall Tool before installing? I just ran across it the other day when I was having trouble with a reinstall after a virus removal and it worked like a charm. No matter whether I used the Removal tool or Revo to completely remove it the same symptoms existed after a clean install. Once i found the preinstall tool and ran it the reinstall worked no problems. it's worth a try.

I did try the tool.

In the end I admitted I was defeated and they got mac fee to remote in for 2 hours to fix it. She said they had to keep on adding profiles so they could get it to work.

I did try the tool.

In the end I admitted I was defeated and they got mac fee to remote in for 2 hours to fix it. She said they had to keep on adding profiles so they could get it to work.

Macafee provided 5 hours of tech support? Wow!

Back