MacBook Issue (2015)

sapphirescales

Reaction score
I have a strange MacBook in here today. It's a 2015 retina model in great shape. The client tried to erase it and now it just boots up into recovery mode. I can't erase the SSD because there's something on it, possibly the recovery environment itself. I also can't boot from external USB, do a PRAM reset, or get into DFU mode. I can do an SMC reset however.

My hunch is it's this damned keyboard. Apple has recalls on all these keyboards. The only problem is, when I fire up Terminal in the recovery environment, it doesn't automatically start typing stuff (meaning the keyboard is definitely hosed). Now I suppose the Command or Control, FN or other non-letter/number keys could be getting pressed because those wouldn't show up in terminal, but I have no way to definitively test this keyboard. If I unplug the keyboard, the power button will also become disconnected. I can disconnect both the keyboard and the battery and then it will automatically turn on when you plug it in, but this is a regular MacBook, meaning there's only ONE part on the thing so I can't boot from USB when it's plugged in.

I can send the client to Apple to have them test the keyboard, but I don't think they'll be able to test the keyboard because you can't boot from USB devices or get into DFU mode to run their diagnostics. I can also try to get a dongle that can both charge this thing and support external USB devices, then disconnect the keyboard and the battery to verify that it is a problem with the keyboard. If I can boot from USB and install Mac OS from USB with the keyboard disconnected, then it's definitely a keyboard issue.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, I know I can do internet recovery, but to do that I'll need to plug in both the power and an external keyboard and there's only one port. I guess I'm going to go buy an adapter/hub. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I think you may have the model wrong, because unless I'm really misreading this, https://support.apple.com/kb/sp719?locale=en_US , it shows two USB 3 ports in addition to MagSafe 2 charger.

Also, there are two pads near the keyboard connector that when shorted will turn the unit on if no keyboard is present.
You linked to a MacBook PRO. This is a regular MacBook.

Didn't know about the pads. I'll check that out, thanks! I usually just disconnect the battery and plug it in because it will automatically turn on when connected to power if it has no battery.

This has a USB-C/Thunderbolt charger. No MagSafe.

I have a Retina from little earlier, has magsafe. All of a sudden it started going wonky, some boots sometimes doesn't, hangs couldn't do anything with it. In the end I sent it to Rossmann, $300 to replace some IC. That fixed the problem but the battery was barely working. But that had problems before. I've got some spare $ around so I may send it in for the battery. Your symptoms sound just like mine so I'd venture a guess it's a logic board problem.

sent it to Rossmann
Yeah, not worth it for a regular MacBook. If you have MagSafe then yours is a Pro (or so old that it was a 2010). These 2015 regular MacBooks go for like $350 on eBay. I already know I'm not going to fix it, but I need to provide an accurate diagnosis so my client can send it into Apple to get the keyboard replaced if the rest of it actually works okay.

Yeah, not worth it for a regular MacBook. If you have MagSafe then yours is a Pro (or so old that it was a 2010). These 2015 regular MacBooks go for like $350 on eBay. I already know I'm not going to fix it, but I need to provide an accurate diagnosis so my client can send it into Apple to get the keyboard replaced if the rest of it actually works okay.
I'm sure you're making money on the diag. But I'd just bag and send it in to Apple if it was me. Wouldn't be surprised if they just "fixed" it. But make sure to backup data. They will nuke the drive.

Wouldn't be surprised if they just "fixed" it.
LOLOLOLOL. Thanks. I needed a laugh today. The idea of Apple doing anything other than screwing people over is laughable. As it is the few actual recalls they have is because they got sued and were forced to. There are TONS of other issues that SHOULD be a recall that Apple REFUSES to acknowledge.

I sent in my MacBook pro for a battery/keyboard replacement because it's not possible for someone who's not an Apple Authorized Service Provider to do this repair properly thanks to Apple's proprietary software that ties the new keyboard to the logic board. When I got it back I discovered that Apple didn't properly tie the keyboard to the logic board, so the function keys didn't work. I had to FIGHT to get them to take it back and reprogram it, and when they finally agreed, they LIED and said that I needed a new logic board and a new SSD and tried to charge me more than $1,000 for the "repair."

Now mind you, this thing is a 2015 and this was back in 2021, so the thing was worth a MAXIMUM of $750. I did everything short of contacting the CEO's office to get them to pair the keyboard to the logic board like they should have done in the first place, but their only answer was that they wouldn't do a "half fix." I'm sorry, there's NOTHING wrong with the SSD or the logic board. If there WERE, you would have seen it the first time I sent it to you a WEEK AGO! I still have the thing, it still works fine except for the function keys. I had to use a third party software solution to get my keys to work. F*CK Apple! If I didn't need a Mac in order to do Mac repairs, I wouldn't own one.

LOLOLOLOL. Thanks. I needed a laugh today. The idea of Apple doing anything other than screwing people over is laughable. As it is the few actual recalls they have is because they got sued and were forced to. There are TONS of other issues that SHOULD be a recall that Apple REFUSES to acknowledge.

I sent in my MacBook pro for a battery/keyboard replacement because it's not possible for someone who's not an Apple Authorized Service Provider to do this repair properly thanks to Apple's proprietary software that ties the new keyboard to the logic board. When I got it back I discovered that Apple didn't properly tie the keyboard to the logic board, so the function keys didn't work. I had to FIGHT to get them to take it back and reprogram it, and when they finally agreed, they LIED and said that I needed a new logic board and a new SSD and tried to charge me more than $1,000 for the "repair."

Now mind you, this thing is a 2015 and this was back in 2021, so the thing was worth a MAXIMUM of $750. I did everything short of contacting the CEO's office to get them to pair the keyboard to the logic board like they should have done in the first place, but their only answer was that they wouldn't do a "half fix." I'm sorry, there's NOTHING wrong with the SSD or the logic board. If there WERE, you would have seen it the first time I sent it to you a WEEK AGO! I still have the thing, it still works fine except for the function keys. I had to use a third party software solution to get my keys to work. F*CK Apple! If I didn't need a Mac in order to do Mac repairs, I wouldn't own one.

I used to like the old G3 and G4 apple machines in the early to mid 2000 era. Seems like after they switched to intel in like 2006 it all started going downhill from there. I don't know how it was to deal with Apple back then. I assume better than it is now lol. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

PPC era machines were just as terrible as Intel. Truth be told, Apple may have lots of design awards and fancy designs, but they have had nothing but a string of recalls/repair programs even dating back to the PPC.

G3 Lombards had a cache chip that would burn out rendering the system unstable or even useless.

PB 5300 (I think that's the model) were the worst performing PPC ever. They could not even play an MP3 file without stuttering and that was with no other apps running. Most other older PPC could play music in the background, the 5300 couldn't. They had recalls on the batteries, and a rumour has it the battery issue was so pronounced that some 5300 set fire on the production line.

Many of the chicklet style iBooks had GPU repair programs, the cases and hinges were horrible.

There were a few PPC machi es that were ok, but that just increased second hand prices.

Seems like after they switched to intel in like 2006 it all started going downhill from there.
Actually Apple really got bad in 2012 when they switched to the "Retina" MacBooks with the soldered RAM. Then they got even worse when they soldered the SSD in 2016. Now they're about as "repairable" as a disposable paper bag. I just had to send someone to the Apple store with a 2018 13" MacBook Pro because the webcam wasn't working. There's a recall on it but of course you can't just replace the webcam - you have to replace the ENTIRE display assembly! Great design, Apple! And it's not even a webcam problem but a problem with the cable that goes to the webcam, but of course the cable is permanently attached to the display assembly so you can't replace it without replacing the entire display assembly! They didn't build their computers like this in the PPC era. Knowing Apple I'm sure this issue exists because they wanted to save $0.0000000001/unit by making the cable just a teeny-tiny bit too short.

PPC era machines were just as terrible as Intel.
Eh, they weren't great but at least Apple didn't do everything in their power to prevent you from fixing them. Making the hard drive so difficult to access in the iBook G3 was a sh*tty move for sure, but at least they didn't solder it down to the board or make it 100% proprietary and refuse to sell the parts!

As for reliability, I don't think they were any worse than the PC's at the time. I still have very old Macs that still work just fine just like I have PC's of the same vintage that still work just fine.

As for reliability, I don't think they were any worse than the PC's at the time. I still have very old Macs that still work just fine just like I have PC's of the same vintage that still work just fine.

I still have an old powermac g4 tower from probably 2000 maybe 2001. I bought it from someone selling it for 100 bucks back in 2009. I toy around with it occasionally. Still works perfectly fine.

MehBook, I got a call from nowhere the other day. A person was going back to their country and offloaded a heap of gear.

X1Xbox 360
X2 iMacs
x1 Cool Electronic Kboard - just required charger - daughter plays kb so came in very handy Im a rockstar on auto samba.

Generally avoid macs though free is cool. Might just turn them into a Remote system or Retro frontend.

U could offsell those for $5,000 @sapphirescales \yea/

Last edited:
Back