LoadKey failed with error 999 (STHIVE = 0)

Galdorf

Reaction score
This seems to be showing up a lot on vista machines something is corrupting the registry with this error a repair even system repair or restore is not possible.

One of the reasons why i hate vista, if anything with xp happens i can fix just about anything, vista something messes up the registry, user profiles or library all it does is blue screen and you can't even get to repair even on the install dvd.

I hope windows 7 is much easier to repair, i usually end up copying data and reformat.

Doing a chkdsk ect to see if there is data corruption or bad sector on hd then a virus check on another pc.

yea i would run a chkdsk or use a live cd to use a disk checking tool from there, also check to see if the registry files are still in their locations and not deleted

The registry is corrupt now how to restore it? ubcdwin pe registry restore does not work in vista.

I can't get to a command prompt, safe mode, recovery just pops up the above error no way to do a system restore either even from vista dvd.

Guess ill have to do this by hand using ubcd4win.

Wow i lucked out the guy had registry mechanic installed it makes regular backups of the registry, i put customers hd on my machine checked the registry mechanic backups copied them to replace the bad ones and it booted into vista without any problems.

Its pretty sad if your registry is corrupt there is no way to get vista repair or system restore to work even with the vista repair cd lol.

Only way you can fix it is to boot into another OS and copy the files from backup directories.

damn i was just coming to respond again, this fix is for XP but im sure you can boot into a live cd instead of recovery console to do the file copying
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system