Linux for Imac

Dave 1973

Reaction score
I took an older Imac as part of a trade and I'd like to install Linux on it. It is a Core 2 Duo

and it is in good condition. I tried Linux Mint (my favorite) and 2 types of Puppy Linux

both both failed part way through the install. I tried both USB and DVD to install them.

The USB is recognized if I boot up the Mac OSX , but it is not found if I try to install

from it. The USB is OK , I tried the stick in a Windows machine and it boots to Mint OK.

Has anyone had success installing Linux on an Imac ?

TIA

Dave

I have installed Linux Mint on an iMac of similar age (processor series) without issue. I'm not sure exactly which version of Mint – whatever was LTS four or five years ago and it would have been the amd64 xfce option. I really don't remember what I installed from, but it was likely to be an iso image on a Zalman, so essentially a USB optical drive.

If you boot from a DVD, can you get to the live desktop? If you get that far, but it fails installing to the hard drive, is the hard drive okay? Have you manually deleted the existing partitions (recommended) or just used the installer to handle partitioning?

I've never had a problem installing *nix on any working Apple computer. All kinds, even dating back to the days of PPC and Yellow Dog and BeOS.

I have installed Linux Mint on an iMac of similar age (processor series) without issue. I'm not sure exactly which version of Mint – whatever was LTS four or five years ago and it would have been the amd64 xfce option. I really don't remember what I installed from, but it was likely to be an iso image on a Zalman, so essentially a USB optical drive.

If you boot from a DVD, can you get to the live desktop? If you get that far, but it fails installing to the hard drive, is the hard drive okay? Have you manually deleted the existing partitions (recommended) or just used the installer to handle partitioning?

I got as far as the options menu of booting Linux Mint or installing it using the DVD and then it froze up.

Using the DVD Puppy Linux would freeze up right after loading files to RAM. The machine seems

to work fine with the Apple OS. I have been using the 32 bit versions of Mint because of the

machines' age. Should I try 64 bit ? I tried Mint ver. 18.1 and ver 19.3.

Thanks for your reply !!

Dave

using the 32 bit versions

I'd bet that's your problem. Core 2 Duo are 64 bit processors. While the earliest versions of those processors would handle 32 bit OS X I never tried that. I always installed what matched the processor for Linux. I tried installing the latest Mint this afternoon on an '08 iMac following the basics in the link below and had no problems. But be aware that wireless usually doesn't work because they don't use stock chip sets. A USB one should work fine. Almost forgot to mention. For some reason my stick had a OEM install version which is what I used.

https://www.linux.org/threads/installing-linux-on-an-imac.26009/

+1 for amd64.

I got as far as the options menu of booting Linux Mint or installing it using the DVD and then it froze up.

When did it freeze, exactly? Just sitting at the options menu or after you selected an option? Anything on the screen (e.g., last message before freezing)?

Quite a few iMac-related posts on the Mint forums, but nothing with the same symptoms that you report.

@Markverhyden Is there anything funky in Apple's EFI implementation that could upset Linux when it's detecting drives? (I wouldn't be surprised ...) I know that older (~2012) Mints had an installer problem with HFS+ drives, but I think that was resolved and didn't affect the Live Desktop (just the install).

Edit to add:
@Dave 1973 Also run a memtest – modern Linux could well be using different addresses to OS X and exposing otherwise hidden memory problems. Your symptoms could well be memory related.

I'd bet that's your problem. Core 2 Duo are 64 bit processors. While the earliest versions of those processors would handle 32 bit OS X I never tried that. I always installed what matched the processor for Linux. I tried installing the latest Mint this afternoon on an '08 iMac following the basics in the link below and had no problems. But be aware that wireless usually doesn't work because they don't use stock chip sets. A USB one should work fine. Almost forgot to mention. For some reason my stick had a OEM install version which is what I used.

https://www.linux.org/threads/installing-linux-on-an-imac.26009/

OK thanks Mark ! I'll try the 64 bit tonight and see if that is the problem.

When did it freeze, exactly? Just sitting at the options menu or after you selected an option? Anything on the screen (e.g., last message before freezing)?

It froze just after things were loaded to RAM. Maybe a memory issue ? I don't remember

the error line. I tried Puppy when Mint failed because it doesn't require much RAM.

I tried 2 different versions of Puppy ( Precise and Slacko)
Your symptoms could well be memory related.

Does the Imac have a built in memory tester ?

Thanks for your ideas !!

Dave

@NJW not aware of any EFI funkiness. As mentioned I've installed Linux several times as well as Winderz, both 7 and 10, without issues.

If it's not getting to a Live session then that's most likely not drive related. Could be RAM. On those it should be easy to access, just a screwed in panel on the bottom. I'd try reseating, even different sticks if you have spares.

One of the biggest downsides to Apple has always been no access to BIOS. So there's nothing to access, change or see.

See if you can get into Apple Hardware Test 9AHT) - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Alternatively partedmagic is an awesome tool if you don't already have it. I've been able to boot from those as well to run h/w tests.

For grins I'd also try loading W10 just to see how far you'll get.

I burned a 64 bit Linux Mint ver 18 DVD and tried to boot from it. I got as far as

" Select CD ROM Boot Type" and it offered the choice of 1.________ or 2. ________

Both choices were blank and the PC would not accept any input from the keyboard.

I ran the Mac " Verify Disk " and it came back " OK " .

When I have more time I'll try to do a memory test. I'm probably missing some

stupid little step in the process :(

TIA

Dave

I burned a 64 bit Linux Mint ver 18 DVD and tried to boot from it. I got as far as

" Select CD ROM Boot Type" and it offered the choice of 1.________ or 2. ________

Both choices were blank and the PC would not accept any input from the keyboard.

That situation gets lots of Google juice! It appears to be due to 32-bit EFI with a 64-bit processor, but it can be made to work.

This workaround seems to be about the most popular solution, or try:
Code:
"Select CD ROM Boot Type" mac linux
as a search term (but the majority of results end up at that first link).

When you power up the machine you are holding down the option key and then selecting a boot device? In your boot options are you seeing volume names that begin with EFI?

OK guys I finally got it thanks to both of you !!

Here is what I found out.

I got an error message trying to boot from a DVD that said I had an i686 cpu and I couldn't use x86 or 64 kernels.

I tried Sparky Linux and it wouldn't boot. Next I tried Slax Linux and it finally booted up with everything working !! :)

I had to use the workaround from NJW to get it to load the DVD. Also I tried loading the DVD by holding down the

" C " key and that didn't work , so I used the option key and that worked. Now I have to find out how to install it

to the disk, it's running from the DVD.

Thanks to both of you for your help !!

Dave

Back