Keyboard and trackpad not working on Macbook Pro 2013

taysr

Reaction score
I have a family members Macbook Pro 2013 (a1502)

They had a water spill on it and it worked for a couple of days after the spill 😳 and then it wouldn't turn on, so naturally they then gave it to me!

Long story short, replaced the keyboard, it booted up and worked briefly and then trackpad and keyboard just not responding. Weirdly the keys along the outside of the keyboard such as ESC, CAPS, SPACE etc didn't work, but all lettered keys were working. Thought perhaps I just got a dodgy keyboard so sent it back and installed the new one. Worked fine for a couple of restarts and then the same issue, keyboard just not responding, and trackpad not responding (it was luck of the draw after a restart if they wanted to work or not). If I plugged in an external mouse and keyboard there were no issues, and managed to reinstall to the latest big sur os.

After numerous reboots the keyboard and trackpad works intermittently on startup. Decided to replace the logic board, exact same problem.

So the following have been replaced:
Keyboard
Logic board
The cable that connects the wifi board to the logic board (found the clip to be loose so replaced it).

So the only things not replaced is the trackpad, wifi board, battery and speakers.

To isolate I unplugged the trackpad and booted up, keyboard still not working. So plugged trackpad in and unplugged wifi board, keyboard still not working.

My only other conclusion, the trackpad is faulty, and when I replaced the keyboard the second time I originally plugged it into the first logic board which could have been water damaged thus making this new keyboard faulty also. It's just strange to me that the trackpad and keyboard either both work, or both don't work, it's never one or the other.

Not too sure where to go from here, if it wasn't a family member I wouldn't have gone this far down the rabbit hole.

Ok so after some extensive searching online, it appears to be a faulty trackpad cable. I've ordered one and I will update the post once tested. The logic behind it:

Bad trackpad cable. This dies all the time.
On this year/model with 820-4924 board:

1. Keyboard signal goes to logic board.
  2. Keyboard signal goes from logic board to trackpad.
  3. Keyboard/trackpad signal is turned into a SPI or USB signal ON THE TRACKPAD, and then goes straight to the CPU from the trackpad cable.
The trackpad cable going bad will stop the keyboard & the trackpad from working. However, the keyboard power button will still function since this works separately.

Link:
https://repair.wiki/w/A1502_2015-2016_13”_MacBook_Pro_Retina

Back