Jumpy graphics from my 5770

11fingers

Reaction score
Hey guys. Can anyone think what might be wrong with my 3D graphics? I just got Diablo III and I'm experiencing the same stupid things I have been having the whole time I've had this card. I'm not sure if it was happening before I got the card or not, I don't remember.

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 3Ghz
Memory: 4GB
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5770
HDD that Diablo III is installed on: Western Digital "Green" drive, 7200rpm.

It runs Diablo really smoothly most of the time. I have the built-in frame rate counter enabled and I'm getting rock solid 60FPS all the time. However, as soon as I go up to the first monster when the level first loads, and start hitting it, it gets really choppy, like it's buffering for a second. After that things get less choppy, but each monster fight definitely slows down the system just a little bit. This happens in lots of ways where it feels like it needs to pre-cache textures or something when something new happens. It's not just this game either. Older games do it too. It's not the power of the graphics card its just some weird behavior.

Also, just running along the map, every 3 seconds or so there's a tiny frame skip, or choppiness just for an instant. As if, again, there is some wad of data that needs to move from point A to point B in my computer and it's not transferring instantaneously. I'm using the most current drivers. This has always happened though, even 4 years ago when I first bought the video card.

Does anyone have a solution for this, besides upgrading my computer? It doesn't matter how low I set the graphics settings too. Same problem. The game plays really smooth and is rock-solid at 60FPS capped, but then slows down momentarily all the freaking time. Again, DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO GO AND BUY. I want to see if there's some BIOS setting or something I can tweak.

Back