Is there a cloning tool to clone MBR to GPT?

Reaction score
New machines are looking for a GPT/UEFI disk to boot from, and some of my image needs require imaging a MBR to run on a new machine. Has anyone found a way around it? HP says you can't make it happen in BIOS.

Image the disk as is, put the new disk into the new system, boot to Windows 10 installation media, open the command prompt and use the MBR2GPT tool.

New machines are looking for a GPT/UEFI disk to boot from, and some of my image needs require imaging a MBR to run on a new machine. Has anyone found a way around it? HP says you can't make it happen in BIOS.
We might be missing some info here. Does your imaging software not support EFI? You mentioned BIOS, some newer laptops do not support "legacy support".

A few more details are needed. What software do you use to image? What model HP laptop are you trying to image? What OS are you deploying?

We might be missing some info here. Does your imaging software not support EFI? You mentioned BIOS, some newer laptops do not support "legacy support".

A few more details are needed. What software do you use to image? What model HP laptop are you trying to image? What OS are you deploying?
your are correct the new Dell desktops do not support legacy mode. I use Aoemi or Acronis true image they all work well but they will convert the target to the same format as the source which is mbr.
The os is windows 10.

Ok, I see your issue.

First, you may want to consider making your images on an EFI capable board, if you want to continue using these apps to deploy. Or perhaps a virtual machine that has EFI enabled.

It sounds as if you prepare an image on an MBR machine then try and restore to GPT. There are deployment apps that will do that, but that's more for disaster recovery, not your normal deployment.

Might I suggest getting familiar with DISM and WIM files? When I deploy a system, it's a few commands and I'm done. Plus it doesn't matter if it's prepared on an MBR machine or not.

DiskPart select disk 0 clean convert gpt create part esr size=128 create part EFI size=128 format quick fs=fat32 assign letter a create part primary format quick fs=NTFS assign letter C Exit

Windows CMD dism /apply-image /image file:d:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:C: bcdboot C:\windows /s a: /f UEFI

The above code assumes a few things but gives you a quick and easy way to deploy images with ease. As long as you have a full image to install from (install.wim) you are good to go. Index 1 is typically Home and 2 is Pro.

Plus you can use one of those fancy Windows PE boot USB to do it all. The WIM format works without any fees, no software to buy. It's been part of Windows since Vista and Server 2008. You can even store multiple images in one file, so you could have a specific build as the first index then another build as index 2. The possibility is endless.

Image the disk as is, put the new disk into the new system, boot to Windows 10 installation media, open the command prompt and use the MBR2GPT tool.

This. I have had a few cases of where I have cloned a older MBR based Windows system onto new hardware that no longer supports legacy.

Back