Ipad mini with damaged digitizer connector

Pasotech

Reaction score
Customer brought in an ipad mini they wanted the digitizer fixed on so they can retrieve their data. Its not the digitizer though, its the connection on the MB that is not responding.

I don't have the equipment or skill to micro solder a new connector, and they cant retrieve the data because they cant touch the "trust this computer" indicator.

So I came here to ask if i am correct in my assumption that the only way to get their data off is to send the Ipad away for a board repair to fix the digitizer?

wow that sounds like a dilly of a pickle. Have you checked out Ifixit yet? they might have what you are looking for..

Yeah, basically the same solution there. Since I can't recover data with a recovery program as it still asks me to approve this connection, which I cant do without a digitizer. Why must apple be so difficult, they have users data so "safe" that the users cant even access it.

You could tell them the same thing you tell someone with a dead hard drive and No Backup....
"If you want your data back, it will cost you. It needs to be sent to someone with higher skill and better equipment than I have"

Just a quick question you say the connector. Did you try a new screen and one with the plugin not one you have to solder on? Ive repaired tons of those and never had an issue. Just curious. Also when you repair these minis you need to make sure to transfer all the felt tape and tape on bottom to the new screen or else the screen will be buggy and never work right.

Yes we tried a couple screens on it and I only use the screens with connectors. We don't have the time or equipment to solder screen connectors. We have done about 300 of them this year and most give us no problems. Just a special case since this customer had so many pictures on it that they could not recover without fixing the digitizer.

Not only the felt tape, but we use static tape as well, and depending on the season we have found it helpful to give the cables a short blast with a heat gun before setting the dig down as if they are cold they can crimp and cause glitches.

Back