iPad connection drops every 3 hours

Tech Savvy

Reaction score
I have a client that uses an iPad as a time clock kiosk. I recently updated their network hardware, untangle, 3 unifi 24 port Poe switches, and 3 unifi access points.

I received a call a while back about the WiFi dropping off for the time clock and I checked it out. All seemed good and they can never show me a time when it wasn’t working. So naturally I thought they were lying or at the very least exaggerating to cover for them being late to work... blame the IT guy he isn’t here. When I showed up everything worked just fine the entire day. So I started monitoring it with solar winds (as a network device not mobile device) and it basically just sends pings every so often. Now I come to find out. They haven’t been lying, it really has been going out all the time, I guess when I was in the timing was right.

The problem is the iPad is losing its WiFi connection every 3 hours almost on the dot. It’s down for a few min, and then comes back online. The access points seem to remain up.

It sounds to me like a sleep issue, but the iPad is plugged in and I turned off auto lock after X seconds.

I’ve tried the usual reset network settings and forgetting the network and it was joining but it seems to be not just the iPad but I have reports(without proof) of it happening to other iOS devices too which makes me think it’s something with my set up

Any ideas on what this can be? Here is a log of when it goes down/up you can see a longer gap when he employees come in in the morning (8-830 am) and/or when they clock out/in for lunch

Time clock
9/22
21:52 offline
21:56 online

9/23
00:45 offline
00:52 online
03:41 offline
03:50 online
06:39 offline
06:44 online
13:18 offline
13:38 online
16:17 offline
16:20 online
19:09 offline
19:22 online
22:06 offline
22:09 online

9/24
00:58 offline
01:04 online
03:52 offline
04:00 online
06:49 offline
06:55 online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm thinking some sort of power management on the iPad too.....but to check other things:
*You have bandwidth steering set?
*With 4x APs...have you done a thorough site survey and tuned the channels and TX settings and RSSI? Perhaps disabling the 2.4 radio on at least 2x of the APs if they're relatively close?
*Default 40 wide on the 5.0 or did you lower to 20 wide?

Wondering if there's maybe some kind of outside interference involved. Maybe some kind of heavy machinery or HVAC or whatever that cycles every three hours.

Back