[SOLVED] iPad Activation Lock problem

Haole Boy

Reaction score
Aloha everyone. Picked up an iPad from a good customer today. He inherited it from a friend who passed away, and does not know the password. I brought it home and following the instructions in this article, hooked it up to iTunes on my PC. Went through the procedure to Recover the iPad. It seems to work, but after I get the iPad connected to the internet, I get an Activation Lock screen telling me that this iPad is linked to an AppleID and I have to enter the AppleID and the password, neither of which is available.

Doing some Googling, I see a couple of "solutions" for this issue:

1) Contacting Apple support and providing proof of death of the previous owner (and maybe proof that you are the intended person to inherit the device)

2) Choose from many different ways to "jailbreak" the iPad

Has anyone tried either of these solutions? If so, how well did it work?

If go down the jailbreak path, what are the implications of this? Will it continue to work as before? Or are there limitations that will show up because it's jailbroken?

Mahalo!

Harry Z

Contacting Apple support is your only option if you want a fully functioning iPad with no limitations. Apple won't give you any support at all if it finds out it's jailbroken.

Don't bother jail breaking uless you like breaking and then fixing things all the time. Not to mention jail break iOS devices are targets for malware.

Personally I've never used the Apple support route but have heard of others who have who had some measure of success. The easiest way is through the former owner's iCloud account. But that has it's own set of issues like if they had MFA turned on. It's possible that if he had used a computer to access icloud.com there might be credentials stored. Basically what has to be done is to turn off Find My <thing>

Mahalo for the replies. I'm returning the iPad to my customer with instructions on how to contact Apple Support.

Back