Install PartedMagic to Hard Disk?

HCHTech

Reaction score
I've got a failed hard drive in one of my Linux bench machines. I'm wondering if it's possible to install PartedMagic to the hard disk instead of putting Mint or something else on there. I'll admit to only a cursory googling of this, but I came up empty. The only thing these machines are used for is hard disk testing & some data recovery.

Maybe there is no particular advantage, I don't know. Has anyone done this?

I've got a failed hard drive in one of my Linux bench machines. I'm wondering if it's possible to install PartedMagic to the hard disk instead of putting Mint or something else on there. I'll admit to only a cursory googling of this, but I came up empty. The only thing these machines are used for is hard disk testing & some data recovery.

Maybe there is no particular advantage, I don't know. Has anyone done this?

I haven't done it yet, but I've been considering it. The few threads that I read on it said something about imaging the .iso onto a harddisk. There isn't a streamlined install button like Ubuntu or Mint. I just boot from CD on the machine I use it on most, but it would be nice to have a persistent install.

yea i use parted magic a lot i would be interested about just having it on a hard drive.

Last edited:
Found Yumi and put a parted-magic iso on a HD / 300Gb SATA
not using usb connector or such.. plain sata connected..

not tested yet - a process is running and the box is occupied..
but in a few.. i am going to try to boot it - thumbs..

Well, it works.. and works very well - added Hirens and Mint 18.1, too - have to test these.. if they work

PartedMagic will run on any modern linux operating system. You can just install your favorite linux flavor on the computer and then install partedmagic.

Ubuntu would likely be the easiest for those not that familiar with linux. The live CD does have an install option and once its up and running just open the terminal and run

"sudo apt-get install gparted"
Depending on the variant of linux you use it may already be installed.

PartedMagic will run on any modern linux operating system. You can just install your favorite linux flavor on the computer and then install partedmagic.

Ubuntu would likely be the easiest for those not that familiar with linux. The live CD does have an install option and once its up and running just open the terminal and run

"sudo apt-get install gparted"
Depending on the variant of linux you use it may already be installed.
GParted and PartedMagic are two totally separate items. Although PartedMagic includes GParted.

GParted and PartedMagic are two totally separate items. Although PartedMagic includes GParted.

PartedMagic has a few extra tools but more than anything its a bare bones distribution used primarily for gparted.
You could still install ubuntu or just about any other linux distro and easily install all the tools included with partedmagic onto it.

I'll have to disagree with this. PartedMagic has far more tools than just GParted.
Fair enough, I'm not trying to argue.
Generally when I hear about partedmagic it's generally just for gparted. I haven't used partedmagic in about two years now and I'm sure things have changed. My initial thought when I read the OP was that he needed gparted.

Fair enough, I'm not trying to argue.
Generally when I hear about partedmagic it's generally just for gparted. I haven't used partedmagic in about two years now and I'm sure things have changed. My initial thought when I read the OP was that he needed gparted.
I suspect you're thinking of something else. Parted magic is a full Linux operating system whose primary function is diagnosing computers. It's got a web browser, CPU, GPU, HDD, audio diagnostic and benchmarking tools, partitioning tools including gparted, cloning tools like ddrescue, etc. I'd recommend looking it up again because it's actually a very handy tool, and usually the first thing I use when starting a job.

As for the OPs question, is there any major reason you can't just leave a 4gb flash drive plugged in and change the boot order so it's first? That's what I did with our machine.

Back