IE Favourites/Firefox Bookmarks to Android tablet - how?

sorcerer

Reaction score
I've got a laptop in that's basically died and being as it's just under two years old, the client is going to take it back to PC World and see how she goes on with regard to the SOGA.

I took the hard drive out and slaved it to my bench machine, then used Linux Mint to save the data that she wanted. I created a folder called 'Favourites' into which I copied her IE favourites and then created a folder called 'Favourites1' into which I copied her Firefox bookmarks. As we all know, these are just HTML links and as such I can click on any of them and they open my default browser on my bench machine and take me to wherever, so the links are working.

The client has a 'no-name' 10.1" Android tablet (running Android 4.4.2) that she can use while she sorts out the laptop and she wanted her favourites links copying to that, so I've managed to get both folders onto the tablet but the links don't appear to be seen as HTML (see screengrab). Is there a way to get these links to work in Android? The stock browser has no 'import' facility to import from a folder, nor has Firefox (which I installed on the tablet in desperation) as far as I can see.

Screenshot.jpg

You should be able to create an account in chrome that will sync the favorites to the android tablet, where once you logged in to the Chrome browser on the computer it will upload the favorites and then install the Chrome app on the tablet it should pull the favorites down to the tablet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-20-11-44-02r.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-20-11-44-02r.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 2
Thanks Ray - if the laptop was working, I could install Chrome on it and that would be easy enough. However, the motherboard seems to have died and so she's taken the laptop back to where she bought it from, so all I have to work with now is a folder full of links.

I've never liked Chrome so I haven't got it on any of my computers, although I could install it temporarily if I had to. Question is, can Chrome import the links from the folders on my desktop (as opposed to importing from another browser on a working machine) in order to then synch with a temporary Google account that I'd have to create for the purpose?

Is there no easier way of making Android see these links other than syncing accounts?

Thanks again mate :)

Android relies on the google ecosystem to take care of this stuff. It shouldn't take very long to Download chrome on your machine, log in with her account info, import the bookmarks/shortcuts and then have it populate the browser on the tablet.

I dislike Safari and Outlook, but I keep them on my work machine to troubleshoot clients that do.

It looks like Firefox has a sync option also but you still have to import the bookmarks into FF on a computer then create an account and log into the account on the tablet. :https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-set-up-firefox-sync

This might work well since you don't like the Chrome browser. I would be interested to know how it works out for you.

Doh! I had already installed Chrome and gone down that route (which worked fine, by the way) before I'd seen your posting Ray, so I can't tell you if Firefox would have worked or not, sorry.

Thanks guys :)

Doh! I had already installed Chrome and gone down that route (which worked fine, by the way) before I'd seen your posting Ray, so I can't tell you if Firefox would have worked or not, sorry.

That's OK glad you got the favorites moved over to the tablet.

Back