[SOLVED] HP Laserjet Error 79

DonS

Reaction score
Hey all

I have a client with an HP Laserjet M282 throwing up the Error 79. It appears that this is related to a Firmware error. The proposed solution I found was to update to the latest Firmware, which I have done. However, the Error 79 continues every time a print job is sent. Then it just goes into Error 79, reboots itself, Error 79.

Has anyone run across this and perhaps has an actual fixed or is this yet another HP printer self bricking itself?

Thanks!

Last edited:
To clarify, Error 79 is a memory corruption error. The print job is getting garbled and is failing a checksum test. I've never seen a firmware update fix this. If this has an add-on memory, remove it, and test. If it doesn't have add-on memory then the formatter is likely bad. It sometimes can be a power supply problem but usually, you see a whole slew of errors, not just 79 when that is the issue. I'm betting it is the formatter.

Following up for future resolutions. As metnioned, I did update the Firmware (manually from the website) with no changed. I did fix this issue by updating the firmware again, but this time, I disconnected it from it's ethernet connection (as per HP's suggestion when talking with tech support). This time the error disappeared. WHY oh WHY that would make a difference is beyond me.. But there it is.

Following up for future resolutions. As metnioned, I did update the Firmware (manually from the website) with no changed. I did fix this issue by updating the firmware again, but this time, I disconnected it from it's ethernet connection (as per HP's suggestion when talking with tech support). This time the error disappeared. WHY oh WHY that would make a difference is beyond me.. But there it is.
In my experience, it will return but good luck to ya if it works for you.

Back