HP laptop doesn't like to shut down

backwoodsman

Reaction score
HP ProBook 430 G1 always acts like you hit Restart instead of Shut Down; it shuts down, then a second later powers back on. To make it shut down, you have to press & hold the power button when it comes back on, usually several times before it will go off and stay off. Also, it powers on as soon as you connect AC power; there's a BIOS setting to do that, but it's turned off, so shouldn't be doing it. It will go into sleep mode, but 1 second later it comes back on and stays on. Other than these symptoms, it's working perfect as far as I can tell.

It has Windows 10, but most of the symptoms happen before the OS loads, and the sleep problem is exactly the same when running Linux, so it's gotta be hardware. I flashed the newest BIOS, and reset BIOS to default settings; no change.

Any ideas before I declare the motherboard toast? Am I missing something obvious?

Last edited:
I had an ASUS laptop that did that, brand new... never found a solution. The thing wouldn't shutdown, just restart...

Stupid thing has been in service for three years, its owner just closes the lid and it goes to sleep. But, you can't tell Windows to "Shutdown", it reboots.

Might be the actual power ribbon running to the board
Nope... Does the same with the ribbon to the power button disconnected, except of course the part involving holding the power button down.

or is simply possessed by a Ghost in the machine.
At this point, that's as good a theory as any.

Driver issue would be my guess (probably graphics). I suspect it's briefly BSODing at the very end of the shutdown process but too quickly to see. Check the logs. You could also try disabling 'Automatically restart' to see if you can get it to BSOD (in System Properties -> Startup and Recovery).

Driver issue would be my guess (probably graphics). I suspect it's briefly BSODing at the very end of the shutdown process but too quickly to see. Check the logs. You could also try disabling 'Automatically restart' to see if you can get it to BSOD (in System Properties -> Startup and Recovery).

OP reported that they tried Linux and it still didn't behave properly. Also that the laptop powers on when plugging in the AC adapter. Despite the bios setting turned off in the BIOS.

Sure sounds like a hardware problem. I would almost argue just replacing the laptop as it's 5 years old.

I cant recall the brand but I also had a machine that would shut down fully as in lights and fans out but would randomly restart on its own.

Never could figure it out. Most likey some sort of short or issue on the mainboard or a watchdog timer that gets triggered. I recall looking in the BIOS and making sure any auto turn on on "x day" was turned off.

Issues like these are hard to nail down and often end up being a "ghost in the machine" and never solved. I think I eventually recycled my unit. For the life of me cant recall brand. Im fairly sure it was a laptop.

I once had an HP where the power button light never shut off. The laptop itself really was shut off, but the power button remained lit no matter what. It would eventually kill the battery. It was a motherboard issue.

Another time I had an ASUS laptop that wouldn't shut down fully with Windows 10. Ended up being a graphics driver.

A Dell I once had would reboot every time you tried to shut it down. Ended up being a power button issue. If you disconnected the power button, it would shut down normally. Unfortunately replacing the power button didn't fix it. Replacing the motherboard didn't fix it either. I wrote that one off as a lost cause and never did figure out what was causing the issues.

I had another laptop (don't remember the brand) that wouldn't shut off right away when you went to shut it down in software (Windows or Linux). Literally you'd hit the Shut Down button and it would take 5+ minutes before it actually started to shut down. You could continue to use it normally after hitting the Shut Down button until it randomly decided to proceed with the shut down between 5 and 30 minutes later. Never did solve that one.

One Dell laptop that I had would shut down, turn back on again for a split second, turn back off again, and cycle a few more times before finally shutting off and staying off. I blew it out and it fixed it. Never heard back from the client.

Generally when a laptop exhibits symptoms like this nowadays I just swap the f*cker. It's not worth my time to mess with it these days. Not when you can get an excellent refurb for $150.

Back