[SOLVED] HP desktop has no boot menu options

Appletax

Reaction score
Solved: the solution is to update the BIOS over Ethernet, if possible, or use an 8GB flash drive as the older BIOS cannot boot from larger drives.

---
HP EliteDesk 800 G2

Interactive BIOS Simulator - so you can see the UEFI options.

Set BIOS/UEFI to defaults and messed with several settings and it just won't list anything to boot from. Cannot boot Windows 10 to install the OS.

Enabled and disabled Secure Boot + Legacy Boot.

1.jpg

This is so weird to me. It looks like, by default, all these things are going to be hidden from the OS.

2.jpg

Last edited:
Reset to default. Why would you not use defaults?

And is this a real system on your bench or are you just playing with a simulator that might not fully function?

Got to the boot menu again. No options to boot. Pressed Esc and it loaded Windows 10 Setup.

Crap like this makes me hate technology.

Ree ree ree 🔪

If the installed OS is in a suspended state you won't be able to boot from anything, it's a system limitation since Windows 7 BIOS days.

So if the installed storage has Windows in a suspended state, you have to remove that.
I honestly didn't know that. Interesting. 👍
I always run my machines 24/7 or with Sleep Mode - never suspend... and it seems like Suspend has severely fallen out of favor.. is that why I didn't know this? Just thinking out loud. Learn something new everyday!

Back