How would you mount a switch here?

Fascinating, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that. I'm not sure how I feel about it (particularly the drawing air in at the top and out the bottom), but I can definitely see advantages and I may end up looking more at those.....

One thing I'd do for that or for a switch flush mounted against the wall (with the ports on the side) is to figure out something to put above it that wouldn't block airflow but would prevent dust and such from falling in - not just tape over unused ports that'll get removed and not replaced over time.

I've seen them used on occasion. Great solution. And they do have port blanks you can buy for network devices. Very rarely used but I really like them.

21GHq3vlFJL.jpg

Either get a shallow switch to mount in the existing patch panel, or mount it on the wall on the plywood. Or get a shelf kit and screw it into the wall. Plenty of options.
Heck..can toss the existing patch panel and replace with a bigger one, closed cabinet if you want.
Don't forget a battery backup for it...not just right into the outlet. Screw mount that on the wall too.

Back