How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 (IE7)

Duality

Reaction score
This is the most useful thing I have ever seen! I wanted to get rid of IE7 so badly because it has a lot of weird bugs like it will make the text bigger than usual.

Unfortunately, without IE, you can't use the WindowsUpdate site the way you're supposed to, making you do a bit more work for your optional updates.

Either way, IE7 is indeed the buggiest browser I've ever laid eyes upon, and is probably responsible for many people's virus infections.

the way I am reading this is that this removes the update to 7 returning to pevious one how ever it might remove it all together but you should be able to find an older version of IE after and use that

ArticleBot said:
Many people who know their stuff with their computers are rushing to give the new Internet Explorer 7: Beta 2 a try even though it is known to have bugs still. One of these bugs that are frequently showing up is that when IE7 causes problems elsewhere (such as in browsing) and they want to uninstall it, they often cant. Here is a guide of how to uninstall IE 7.
Read the full article.

Ie7

This is the most useful thing I have ever seen! I wanted to get rid of IE7 so badly because it has a lot of weird bugs like it will make the text bigger than usual.

Uninstalling that monster will be a crap shoot with the rest of O/S as it has many reg keys inter-connected. My personal advice is to install Firefox and make it a default browser

IE7 uninstalls easily from the add/remove programs I have done it many times. I can not say if this goes for Vista but my belief is Vista your stuck with IE7 and honestly I think IE7 is the least of your worries with Vista. I would like to add I hate Firefox and have yet to try Opera. So yes that means I am using IE but not 7 still on 6 with custom high level security settings.

Firefox

Personally, I have found IE7 causing several conflicts with some software and as a result have installed FireFox. No more problems.:)

One of the techs here was also reporting the IE7 messes with certain HP printers. Firefox is definitely the way to go. Its just a matter of convincing your client/parents/friend to make the switch.

Have a customer with a current IE7 issue. She installed it, then uninstalled it, and now has the "67 IE windows" popping-up issue, and blank webpages appearing when clicking on links. It's not spyware (I've checked); apparently related to a leftover registry key from IE7 that stays after reverting back to 6. However, after deletion and reboot, (and watching for that reg key), once she attempts to surf certain pages, THE KEY MAGICALLY COMES BACK! And of course, so does the problem. Here's what I'm going to try tomorrow:

1. Try IEFix, and see if that "crushes" any old IE7 remnants.
2. A repair install of XP with all of RyanVM's updates so I don't have to go through that rigamarole afterwards.

If that doesn't fix it, time for a nuke-and-pave of XP. I've looked all over the internet for a solution; only thing I found was the reg key, but can't do anything about it if it keeps coming back!

Unfortunately, without IE, you can't use the WindowsUpdate site the way you're supposed to, making you do a bit more work for your optional updates.

Either way, IE7 is indeed the buggiest browser I've ever laid eyes upon, and is probably responsible for many people's virus infections.

Wrong. WinDiz update has been around for years. It works great in Firefox.
http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

Regarding my issue with IE7 noted in an above post, IEFix did indeed fix the problem. IE6 is now back to normal.

You can find IEFix by searching Google.

One of the techs here was also reporting the IE7 messes with certain HP printers. Firefox is definitely the way to go. Its just a matter of convincing your client/parents/friend to make the switch.

Funny you mention that; a user just had HP Director for their flatbed scanner stop working, wouldn't launch, nothing. IE7 was installed the week before, and HP had a patch out that resolved. What a pain.

Back