How to split business and residential content on website

hcd

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to structure my website for both residential and business clients. I probably do about 50% of both, and the two are generally interested in different services.

For residential clients, it's virus removal, SSD upgrades, printers, etc. And for businesses it's managed services, network setup, Wi-Fi, active directory and group policy, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations? I've considered having two seperate sites. I've also thought about having a landing page that I've attached to this post, which I'm not sure I'm happy with (just a proof of concept, would probably add phone number and email links). I saw one site with a modal popup when you first load the front page. Others just mix the services on the front page, then have menubar links that separate out home and business services.

What are your guy's thoughts?

Attachments

• split-landing.png
    split-landing.png
    970.3 KB · Views: 69
I'm mostly residential, but that landing page is brilliant! Easily separates the two sides of your business.
If I were a potential client I would have no problem getting to where I needed to go!

Really nice landing page!

fully manage(no d) (I think)

>>Others just mix the services on the front page, then have menubar links that separate out home and business services.

We are in a website re-design, and I think this is essentially what we are doing.

Users don't often really think it through as to which "side" they are in the IT world. The whole site is really just for them to give us a call / email.

But that landing page - phew! beauty =)

Thanks for the compliments and the spell-checking :). Took me a while to wrap my head around BootStrap CSS to get that page working.

Users don't often really think it through as to which "side" they are in the IT world. The whole site is really just for them to give us a call / email.

This is what I'm worried about. Am I putting an obstacle in the way of a client interested in calling me by giving them an extra click? By putting something between them and the page tailored to get them to call me?

Nice landing page! To be honest I doubt one extra click will make a difference. Having both up front might help one sell the other.

If you want to separate it I think that's the best way, unless you want to re-brand under a different name. Most of the time re-branding is not a good thing so to speak, if it's not broke, don't fix it. But I would change it from "in Home..." to maybe something like "Consumer Technology...". Broadens the scope a bit more.

Reactions: GTP
Thanks for all of the feedback. I think I'm going to keep this page.

Here's a live demo with my contact info added: https://huntsvillecomputerdoctor.com/test/

I'm still messing with the layout on a phone screen. Right now you can't see the "Business" section unless you scroll down, and think that most people will miss it. I'm considering having the "Email" and "Call" buttons turn into icons on small screens that appear next to my logo, but I kind of like having the text there. Thoughts?

I've attached an iPhone Plus screenshot.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f83.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f83.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 15
I think that doing the icon links are fine in this day and age. People understand what those hyperlinks mean. And it allows you to have less wasted space in the header area.

Nice landing page. One problem though, it breaks when going mobile (responsive).

To fix that, in youc css from the index page, remove the padding-bottom. Its not needed since your using the calc function.

Nice landing page. One problem though, it breaks when going mobile (responsive).

To fix that, in youc css from the index page, remove the padding-bottom. Its not needed since your using the calc function.

Can you attach as screenshot? I've tested in portrait and landscape on the iPhone 5, 6, 6 Plus, Pixel XL, and Galaxy S6.

I use to try and split them but I found it was pointless. My target is home office to small offices up to 25 users. I find that im my area the target audience has no clue what managed services are, nor do they google email filtering or network security. They just Google computer repair for most everything. So I break down basic services.

Back