how to? Server 2012 std, needs to have multiple RDP's at the same time

Reaction score
I have a new client that has a 2012 server std (not R2). They do not use it as a DC, active directory or any advanced roles. They just need to access some software that runs on this server and some data shares. They need to have 3-4 RDP remote sessions simultaneously. I'm not sure how to set this up. I have found some guides, but I'm still trying to sort it out. I've found these steps and did it, but it still only lets two RDP sessions at one time. When the 3rd user tries, they get a message saying too many people already logged in.

Enable Multiple RDP Sessions
      1. Log into the server using Remote Desktop.
      2. Open the start screen (press the Windows key) and type gpedit.msc and open it
      3. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Session Host > Connections.
      4. Set Restrict Remote Desktop Services user to a single Remote Desktop Services session to Disabled.
      5. Double click Limit number of connections and set the RD Maximum Connections allowed to 999999
I've also seen where some sites say we need to purchase a CAL pack for RDP? Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

UPDATE: got this resolved, see : http://justin-bennett-msjc.blogspot.com/2014/05/configure-server-2012-and-2012-r2-with.html

Last edited:
That is a great walk through and exactly what I need, thanks!
As for the licensing, server 2012 comes with 5 user CALs out of the box, right? Do I need to purchase 4 additional CALs for the same users so they can RDP in?

If yes, i found what looks like a decent price on individual RDP CALs at CDW.com for $117.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Mi...-Remote-Desktop-Services-license/2785121.aspx

Do I need to have the licenses to get this up and running? I ask because I'd like to set it up and test it to make sure it will work like they want it before we invest in the 4 CALs in the event that the customer changes their mind on RDP. i

User CALs and Terminal Service CALs are not the same thing.
So you know, the "default" ability to RDP into a server is, for lack of better term, referred to as "Remote Management" and allows for two sessions. It's only meant for administrators to RDP into the server to do admin stuffs.
When it comes to RDPing into a server and messing around in User-land, you'll want to license the server as an RDC Server.... or Terminal Server.... or whatever the Politically Uncorrect term for it now is.
I've been up for 40 hours now, so forgive my ramblings.

It's a pretty easy setup once you've done it a few times. The first time can be a bit confusing, especially if it is the first time you've been introduced to it (as it appears here). And nothing wrong with that, doubt anyone here (except YOSC maybe) was born knowing how to do it. :D
You got 5 user CALs, purchase 5 TS CALs (I think the only come in quantities of 5 anyhow), install the Remote Desktop Services role(s), Licensing and Session Host. Install the licenses, point the session host to look at the local server for licensing.... have a beer.

That would be it.
Funny, I've always ordered in groups of 5 (5, 20, 50, etc).... guess I never really had the need to just get one.

Do yourself a favor, see if you can get a discount on a 5 pack somewhere, just because you only need 4, it can't hurt to have an extra, especially if you can get it discounted.
Just my opinion though.

That would be it.
Funny, I've always ordered in groups of 5 (5, 20, 50, etc).... guess I never really had the need to just get one.

Do yourself a favor, see if you can get a discount on a 5 pack somewhere, just because you only need 4, it can't hurt to have an extra, especially if you can get it discounted.
Just my opinion though.

I think that is the way I'm going to go. Where is your favorite place to order from?

I'm a stick in the mud, I'll get them from the vendor when I order the server. A good rep (if you have good volume) is always happy to cut you a deal.
In the past I have ordered from NewEgg, The Microsoft Store, and even used those discount sites you find on Google. But I got burned real bad doing that, so now I stick with the main channels. Maybe one day I'll start trusting those guys again...

It is in your best interest to go through your wholesaler...line up with the Microsoft licensing department, get your biz registered with them...and start building a history and volume of sales through them.

Hi Guys, I was working on getting this setup today and everything went well via the walk through that goldmerc posted. It activated just fine. However, when I test it, I still can only have two simultaneous RDP's going. The third still gets the same error (pick someone to disconnect).

Now, this is not a domain environment, it is Workgroup and thats the way the business owner wants it to stay. Do I need to set this server up as a DC in order to get the RDP fully up and running?

Fixed this service problem below:
Also, I noticed that upon booting the server, in server manager dashboard > Remote Desktop Services > it shows that the TSGateway service is stopped, set to delayed start. I can start it manually right from there (that does not fix the problem above) but on reboot it back to stopped delayed start. I go into the services for the server and I don't see a TSGateway service listed.

Last edited:
First...you do not want a terminal server to also be a domain controller...you never ever want to allow end users local logins to a DC.
You don't "need" AD for a terminal server, it can be used in workgroup mode. You lose much control of course, you're not able to apply desirable group policies that we deploy on terminal servers to lock down user sessions so they can't do much damage...but...technically you do not need AD for a terminal server. Licensing I think has to be "per device" mode, you can't do "per user" TS CALS without AD.
I'm guessing your licensing didn't stick if you're stuck with just 2x sessions...does it show licensing activated? It's able to contact the RD licensing service?

FYI: I fixed the delayed start for the service, so i've edited it out of my post above:

I do understand what not having AD setup for this environment does for me. I've explained it quite thoroughly to the owner, but she's not interested.

Here's a screen shot:
GATR%20RDP1.PNG

You can see that under events, it says rd gateway service failed to register, but I'm not sure what to make of that.

Are you using RDS Gateway?
RDS, Session Host, and Licensing is all that is needed (basic) for a terminal server setup. RDS Gateway is something else.
Granted, I've never setup a Terminal Server on anything over 2008R2 (so far) but the same thing should hold true.

In your screenshot, those Windows 2000 unlimited are something else, back when RDC was a different beast.
From the looks of it, your new licenses are not installed.

Open the Session Host Configuration and point it to the local server for licensing. That would be your next step I believe.

Back