How to import xp ddrescue disc image into vmware

ell

Reaction score
Hi, I've been playing around with vmware workstation, trying to create a windows xp virtual machine from a image created with ddrescue-gui. The image has no extension so I presume it is raw. I have tried the vmware converter, starwind v2v converter, nothing seems to recognize the image. I know the image is fine because I am able to mount it with osfmount and view the files. Not having much luck, ideas?

If you have Linux then you can use use qemu easy enough.
Code:
qemu-img convert -O vmdk ddrescue_image_file WindowsXP_snazzy_name.vmdk

If you have Linux then you can use use qemu easy enough.
Code:
qemu-img convert -O vmdk ddrescue_image_file WindowsXP_snazzy_name.vmdk

Thanks! I'm a total linux newb, I'm on it!

You assume correctly that ddrescue uses a completely RAW image file. It's just sector by sector.

An easy way to write it to other objects after is just to add a .bin or .img extension and use a trial of R-Studio or another data recovery program that can work with image files. Then you can just write the image to another image file, hard drive, etc.

You assume correctly that ddrescue uses a completely RAW image file. It's just sector by sector.

An easy way to write it to other objects after is just to add a .bin or .img extension and use a trial of R-Studio or another data recovery program that can work with image files. Then you can just write the image to another image file, hard drive, etc.

thanks!

Back