How to view DDrescue image

ell

Reaction score
Hi, I am a total noob when it comes to linux, but I got a pc magic disc with ddrescue gui and made an image of a hard drive, everything went fine, no errors. The image is on a usb drive partition formatted ntfs. I can see its the correct size but when I mount the partition and open it in file manager it shows unknown file type. How do I open this image? :confused:

Last edited:
Hi, I am a total noob when it comes to linux, but I got a pc magic disc with ddrescue gui and made an image of a hard drive, everything went fine, no errors. The image is on a usb drive partition formatted ntfs. I can see its the correct size but when I mount the partition and open it in file manager it shows unknown file type. How do I open this image? :confused:

Mounting a ISO or IMG of a Partition

In linux you can easily mount a disk image by the following example:

1. You need a directory to mount it too. Therefore make a directory first:

sudo mkdir /mnt/diskimage

2. Now lets mount the image so we can read it:

sudo mount -o loop /media/usbstick/mydiskimage.img /mnt/diskimage

3. Now we will take a look at what is in the image:

ls /mnt/diskimage

Depending on your flavor of linux you may have to install support for ntfs filesystems.

If you use apt (Debian based like ubuntu, Mint ect.)to install then try this:

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

Should you be using yum (Fedora/Redhat based)instead try this:

yum install fuse fuse-ntfs-3g

Hope this helps

coffee

I tend to use Windows after creating an img with DDRescue.
IMDisk for right-clicking the img file, mounting it as a virtual drive or simply open the img file with R-Studio.

I tend to use Windows after creating an img with DDRescue.
IMDisk for right-clicking the img file, mounting it as a virtual drive or simply open the img file with R-Studio.

I tried r-studio from windows and easeus, for some reason the image I created had no .img extension, nothing would work, I finally got it mounted using a linux command I found googling.

Back