[REQUEST] Help with Mac Desktop

PC Doctor

Reaction score
I don't normally repair Mac's but was asked to take a look at a friend's with everywhere closed at the moment.

The machine is a 27" Mac Desktop model I suspect 2010-2012 (Bigger case with DVD Drive built-in) and the hard drive has failed. I have successfully removed the old drive and put in a brand new one (No partitions on it)

I am able to boot into the web recovery using command and R, it asks to connect to the wireless (even with an ethernet connection), I connect it to the wireless and we then get a spinning globe with a loading bar underneath and 24:00

The machine sits there for some time and then I get an error message

apple.com/support
-21 06F

and the globe then has a caution triangle in front of it.

Have I missed a step? Do I need to prepare the hard drive in some way before I go into recovery mode?

If it is a 2011 iMac you will need this otherwise the fans will be spinning at max speed all the time, or a simple solution installing Mac fans control but if the iMac is formated it will need to be installed again

Running recovery mode over wireless has always been a problem. It will always prompt for setting up a wireless connection. But there should be a "skip" button somewhere as it will automatically pickup a DHCP address from the wired connection.

Back