Help re:Rootkit.WIN32.TDSS.td14 & hallucinations

Mr.Mike

Reaction score
Hi all,

Oh, where do I begin? This will go down as the most confusing thing I've seen to date!

I had a client bring in a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop with Vista 32bit that was only booting to a "Repair Windows" or "Start Windows Normally" black screen. In order to see what was up, I chose start normally and got to a desktop, icons and all then a Rogue "Internet Security" program ran. I went to end the process, but suddenly the usb mouse wouldn't work. Then I started task manager with the keyboard and got in and got to the processes tab to kill the process and then the keyboard froze.:confused: I then shut down and tried again, this time going to Start while the keyboard was working and ran msconfig. I moused over to the Startup tab to uncheck "Internet Security" rogue program listed there and stop the process , but again keyboard and mouse froze. :mad:

Booted again to the "Repair Windows" / Start Normally screen and selected "Repair Windows". Immediately, it ran CHKDSK which reported:

Corrupt attribute
record (128, "")
93 re-parse records processed
0 bad file records processed
0 EA records processed
Recovering orphaned file
2 directory files - 2 unindexed files processed
Recovering orphaned file
WUREDI~1.bak
WUREDIR.cab.bak

This was something I'd never seen before. I booted it again thinking this had at least addressed some issues so I could take a closer look at the Rogue and kill it. This time, I began to suspect a Rootkit so I ran TDSSKiller from my thumb drive and its scan found a Rootkit called: RootKit.Win32.TDSS.td14. Nothing that surprising but, just when I went to get rid of it the MOUSE AND KEYBOARD froze again!!:eek::mad::eek::mad:

Next I pulled the drive and slaved it on my bench and ran MBAM and got this result:

PUP.Zugo
Trojan.Agent
Trojan.FakeAlert
PUP.Fbsearch (16 times)
Trojan.Agent
Trojan.Agent
PUP.BundleInstaller.IO
PUP.BundleInstaller.IO

O.K., so that was the "Internet Security rogue. I "removed selected" (all) and then ran SAS. SAS found 124 Adware Tracking Cookies but nothing else. I cleaned those out too. That being done, I went to start TDSSKiller from my bench machine and scan the slaved/infected drive. I then go to My Computer to see the slaved drive and its partition and uh-oh...Next thing I know, the Main OS drive (J:\) shows no volume when right clicked and the recovery volume drive (K:\) when right-clicked pops up a window that says: "The Recycle Bin on Drive K:\ is Corrupted. Do you want to empty the recycle bin for this drive?" I click "No" and close the window not being sure what to do. Even more bizarre, (if it could any more bizarre than this), every other time I right click the K:\ or J:\ drives, the Windows 7 System window with the "windows experience index" comes up and the system it refers to is, get this, HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC!!with Windows 7 64-bit :eek::confused::eek:
My bench unit is a custom desktop running Win 7!

I figure I must be hallucinating. :( (Blink-Blink).

I'm hoping you guys can bring me down from this bad acid trip and make some sense out of this one. Google research/TN search yielded nothing comparable.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited:
(disregard my last message, in case you saw it...)
In tdsskiller, change the parameters and have it look for the tdfl filesystem, too.

Thanks at least for reading this 14049752. It's getting late for me and I have to make dinner for my wife and family. I look forward to tomorrow for any ideas you all may have. Good Night!

(disregard my last message, in case you saw it...)
In tdsskiller, change the parameters and have it look for the tdfl filesystem, too.

Not done that before, and not sure how, but will give it a go. Thx. :)

EDIT: Duh. Easy to do. But, it can't access the drive as it is showing no volume and cannot be accessed. Seems like the MBR has been scrambled. Suggestions?

Last edited:
I ran MBRCheck and targeted the drive for MBR repair. Boots to a screen showing "Other" as a User and asks for a name & p/w. I had already run OPHCrack to get all available passwords for existing users and none worked. Now I have booted to a Dell-authored Utility Partition, f12 option, and am running a series of tests that will take a couple of hours to complete....

Looking around the forum and google, I suspect this machine was once used as either a network workstation who's HDD was somehow damaged and then someone tried to repair it, or that someone traded the original with a HDD that had an bootleg copy of Vista. If you read the original OP, the system screen said it was on an HP dv6 Notebook. So it looks like someone somehow installed that on the 3.5" drive. Not sure but I don't think this is even possible.

Back