HDD Superclone vs deepspar - Thoughts?

Kerrya

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't know how many people have been trying these products for cloning or data recovery, but I've been using HDD SuperClone with quite a bit of luck.

I'm wondering if the Deepspar device will increase the recovery probabilities, or not. It seems to me it is just doing for Windows what Linux already does for HDD Superclone. But I may be way off base.

Any thoughts?

Kerry

The largest advantage from the DeepSpar, to me, is the fact that it can "reset" a drive from hardware (and ATA command) intelligently... it is more robust when recovering drives that are clicking - or recovering from one platter or head at a time in the case of bad media, etc.

I trialed it (RapidSpar) 6 or 7 years ago with a bunch of other Nibblers... they were sending a trial kit around for a while. While it was very nice, and did a very good job - for the most part, I find my ddrescue and R-Studio still hold up pretty well... so I didn't go and buy one.

Hello,

I don't know how many people have been trying these products for cloning or data recovery, but I've been using HDD SuperClone with quite a bit of luck.

I'm wondering if the Deepspar device will increase the recovery probabilities, or not. It seems to me it is just doing for Windows what Linux already does for HDD Superclone. But I may be way off base.

Any thoughts?

Kerry
Deepspar is a hardware assisted cloning tool, while hddsuperclone is software based cloning.

The hddsuperclone's developer has cleverly done as best as possible utilizing settings in Linux to disable drives from communicating with the OS, which mimics "hardware like" cloning. But it is not coming close to what hardware cloning is like, in being able to control the drive a bit better with various scripts, head operation, disable SMART activity, etc.

Tying in with your other post, for USB based drives, Deepspar won't do a whole lot better.

USB Stabilizer and UFS Explorer works a treat for me.
Yes, they work well together too. However, DeepSpar has been working with R-Studio to integrate the two, which makes for a more stable environment. UFS doens't have that luxury, so there are a few instabilities that may make it less stable.

You should see them work with Stabilizer-10G. What a dream!

Back