Hard drive "burn in" or "break in" software - Anyone know of any?

tankman1989

Reaction score
Over the past years I have become VERY skeptical of new hard drives. It seems that if they are not DOA, they are going to fail within the first 2-3 weeks of use if they are going to fail at all. What are your thoughts on this?

That being said, I would like to create a procedure where I can break-in these drives prior to selling one to a customer. I do not trust ANY of these off the shelf retail externals I see for under $100. I can't imagine anyone who has worked in the computer field for very long that wouldn't understand this, but explaining it to the customer is a different story.

I am either going to run a process of "burn in/testing" or offer external RAID1 backups.

The testing procedure would look something like this:
Here is what I think I may do on every drive I sell as an external backup:
1. Short and Extended factory scan
2. DD copy in Linux to fill disk with data (copy same size disk to new disk) Write testing
3. copy all data from new drive to work drive via DD (read testing)
4. Repeat 2&3 a number of times
5. Wipe partition table, create new partition & format
6. write random files via script
7. read (copy) random files via script
8. Wipe or zero drive with DoD 7 passes

I think I would be able to automate most of this and may be able to do multiple drives at one time. I have seen setups where you connect one cable to this "mini tower" that holds 4-20 drives (depending upon the $$ you want to spend) and it treat all the drives within the same. So if you copy one file to this tower, it writes to all the drives. This is similar to what Dell and HP use to clone their system hard drives. It is a MASSIVE RAID redundancy!!

This is obviously a time consuming process and wonder if it is worth while. I have seen external RAID1 setups and think that this may be the better price option.

For those questioning why I feel the need to test drives, here is what I went through in one week setting up a server.

Just last summer, I ordered 2 500Gb WD SATAII drives, the best ones they made and they both failed within a week. They were being run in a server with RAID 1. When one went down we said "good thing we have RAID on it", two days later, the other drive died.

We RMA'd the to NewEgg and they shipped out two replacements and upon arrival we ran a full diagnostic and the both had SMART failures. We switched to a new machine and ran the diag again. Same outcome.

Anyway, I think the two new drives they shipped, one was fine and is still running AFAIK, and the other was SMART DOA. This really dropped my faith in WD, but I think there must have been a bad lot or something to have 5 out of 6 drives be bad. I've always found WD to be pretty reliable, especially their RE (Raid Edition drives).

We installed about 500 hard drives in the last year and I've had one failure. Your problem may be NewEgg rather than WD, not that I'd use WD anyway. Maxtor only here.

This looks like complete overkill, sometimes you just get unlucky and get a bad batch. I'm sure thats what happed.
I have never had anything like this happen to me. (but I only install about 2-3 hard disks a month,,,)

Over the past years I have become VERY skeptical of new hard drives. It seems that if they are not DOA, they are going to fail within the first 2-3 weeks of use if they are going to fail at all. What are your thoughts on this?

That being said, I would like to create a procedure where I can break-in these drives prior to selling one to a customer. I do not trust ANY of these off the shelf retail externals I see for under $100. I can't imagine anyone who has worked in the computer field for very long that wouldn't understand this, but explaining it to the customer is a different story.

I am either going to run a process of "burn in/testing" or offer external RAID1 backups.

The testing procedure would look something like this:
Here is what I think I may do on every drive I sell as an external backup:
1. Short and Extended factory scan
2. DD copy in Linux to fill disk with data (copy same size disk to new disk) Write testing
3. copy all data from new drive to work drive via DD (read testing)
4. Repeat 2&3 a number of times
5. Wipe partition table, create new partition & format
6. write random files via script
7. read (copy) random files via script
8. Wipe or zero drive with DoD 7 passes

I think I would be able to automate most of this and may be able to do multiple drives at one time. I have seen setups where you connect one cable to this "mini tower" that holds 4-20 drives (depending upon the $$ you want to spend) and it treat all the drives within the same. So if you copy one file to this tower, it writes to all the drives. This is similar to what Dell and HP use to clone their system hard drives. It is a MASSIVE RAID redundancy!!

This is obviously a time consuming process and wonder if it is worth while. I have seen external RAID1 setups and think that this may be the better price option.

For those questioning why I feel the need to test drives, here is what I went through in one week setting up a server.

Just last summer, I ordered 2 500Gb WD SATAII drives, the best ones they made and they both failed within a week. They were being run in a server with RAID 1. When one went down we said "good thing we have RAID on it", two days later, the other drive died.

We RMA'd the to NewEgg and they shipped out two replacements and upon arrival we ran a full diagnostic and the both had SMART failures. We switched to a new machine and ran the diag again. Same outcome.

Anyway, I think the two new drives they shipped, one was fine and is still running AFAIK, and the other was SMART DOA. This really dropped my faith in WD, but I think there must have been a bad lot or something to have 5 out of 6 drives be bad. I've always found WD to be pretty reliable, especially their RE (Raid Edition drives).

I only use Seagate.
I like that they offer a 5 year warranty on all drives.
I feel that means that they believe in their product.

We installed about 500 hard drives in the last year and I've had one failure. Your problem may be NewEgg rather than WD, not that I'd use WD anyway. Maxtor only here.

if you are ordering from Newegg, or anywhere really, do not buy OEM versions of the drives.

You are expecting a drive that is shipped wrapped in bubble wrap through UPS to survive without issues. It can happen, but I doubt it. The retail packaging includes much more security for shipping.

As for testing, SpinRite has a mode that reads and writes every single sector. You can run it through that a couple times. SpinRite was made for that sort of thing.

if you are ordering from Newegg, or anywhere really, do not buy OEM versions of the drives.

You are expecting a drive that is shipped wrapped in bubble wrap through UPS to survive without issues. It can happen, but I doubt it. The retail packaging includes much more security for shipping.

+1
MrUnknown has put it much more succinctly than I could have.

Knock on wood, I've never had a problem with OEM drives from Newegg. I think it could have been a bad batch as well.

This is why I do not buy from budget places like newegg unless I have to.

Ingram Micro, etc. usually knows about problems and can relay to the buyer before it becomes a problem. IM let me know on the rise of failures in seagates when they were going that, specifically so that wouldnt happen.

I have been lucky with OEM drives too, I have only purchased 2 for my own personal use, never for clients, and I purchased with other things so the box will be full of packaging peanuts or something else.

and Ken, it isn't the fact that newegg is a budget place, it is simply the lack of packaging. Any place where you can purchase an OEM drive will more than likely not package it secure enough. You can even purchase OEM drives from Amazon.com, read the reviews and there are a bunch of failure posts. The Seagate failure affected their drives in general, not bubble wrap protection. If Ingram Micro sold OEM drives packaged the way other places do, they would have the same problem.

MrUnknown, Do you know if there is a difference in Spinrite's read/write testing of every sector and that by the Windows Checkdisk with the option selected: "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"?

As for testing, SpinRite has a mode that reads and writes every single sector. You can run it through that a couple times. SpinRite was made for that sort of thing.

I understand from listening to Steve Gibson's Security Now podcast that all modern hard drives come with spare sectors and that the firmware built into the drives will swap out a failing sector if given the opportunity to attempt to read/write a failing/failed sector.

-- Patrick B.

I have never had any problems with OEM drives from Newegg. they package the drives very good. And not to mention that I can order a drive and have it in the next day.

We ordered 20 maxtor 20 gig fireball drives 16 years ago they all failed within a week we found out that they dropped the palate from the ship thus a large quantity were recalled, somehow they got shipped still.

Best way to test is to run smart tests on drive or have a smart monitoring utility such as SmartMonTools

There are a few with gui's that sit on desktop ect. just other day i had a segate hd was acting strange i checked smart and it was showing intermittent failures.

MrUnknown, Do you know if there is a difference in Spinrite's read/write testing of every sector and that by the Windows Checkdisk with the option selected: "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"?.

Honestly, I have no clue. i do not know what Checkdisk actually performs or how it does its magic. SpinRite will read the bit, invert it, write it back, read it, invert it and write it again as a test.

Back