Google Suite with Outlook 2019

dee001

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I keep having this same issue with this customer and I really need to find a solution. The customer has Google for their mail server but uses outlook on their work stations, most of the user have IMAP set up and works great, but a few of them had pop3 setup at first then we used the gsuite migration tool to try to upload all the mail from the pst to the cloud so we could just set them up using IMAP. This is were a lot of the trouble started due to all of the mail really never migrated over. Now we have a few of them with a large portion of their mail locally on the work station and current mail on the server using IMAP to Outlook. My question is, is there a better way to set this up I have one user that has so much mail on the server that every so often outlook just stops syncing mail, then other times the mail on the IMAP folder are not syncing back to the server. I have used IMAP settings and I have user the gsuite mail sync tool and both have some issues. Gsync tool takes too long to sync incoming mail and IMAP isn't syncing all of the newly created folders within the IMAP local folder.

It has to be a better way I ran the idea of possibly switching from google servers to 365 by the owner today just to get his opinion and he would be open to it. I just think it would be a lot of work to do just for these few users.

Any suggestions

I have two businesses, one runs on Google, the other M365. I DESPISE Google...

Google's entire ecosystem is designed around the idea that you will never be using on premise applications. For this reason, and this reason alone I push all of my business clients into M365. In M365 you have the choice, on prem or cloud? YOU decide, the tools are there for both, the support is there for both.

There is no reasonable way to import large volumes of mail into Google. Nothing I've ever used works, everything does what you're describing. If I take the same people and put them into M365, all I do is import their PST dumps into their local Outlooks and while it takes forever, eventually it all winds up in the cloud.

Middle sized clients use the built in migration tools to get into M365, large ones get MigrationWiz, or whatever the heck Bittitan calls it these days.

Here is my guide for Gsuite.

Check the mailbox size online first, be sure the HD has enough space, this is sometimes a huge problem.
Connect Gsuite to Outlook using the connector.
Set the limits based on the customer's request, 1,2, 4 or unlimited. Again, based upon HD space
Then let the Gsuite finish syncing
Then open the PST in the same profile
Migrate folders of email by right clicking and "copy to the folder" option to the Gsuite folders
This is the way I do it when things are a bit sticky, it's better to sync up less than a big dump at one time.
PST can hold whatever you don't want synced up, just be sure it's backed up daily.

Many of my clients have 100 gigs of data and think they can upload it all to Google. Impossible pretty much, Outlook will crash if you try it. Keeping some local and some in the Gsuite account is best if they have a lot. I train my clients with large PST files to only keep what they need mobile in the Gsuite connector. Less is more when it comes to Outlook being happy.

Back