GoDaddy M365 account as MS account for computer?

HCHTech

Reaction score
I've been able to avoid this so far, but today's the day. I have a new client that has his domain, website & O365 subscriptions through GoDaddy. He's hiring his first 2 employees, so we're setting up laptops for them. The laptops were initially setup using local user accounts. I logged into his GoDaddy account and purchased the additional Business Premium licenses, then created the email addresses. Then after a fashion, found my way through their labyrinth to download Office onto the 2 laptops. I logged into the office apps with the new email address and password, and activated ok, but I can't seem to change the computer user account to a Microsoft account using those credentials - says that account doesn't exist.

If I go to portal.office.com page and attempt to log in, it does correctly redirect me to the godaddy login page, and I can log in there so I think things should be working.

I figured there was probably just some time needed for things to propagate, but it's been a couple of hours and it still doesn't work. Is there something I'm missing here?

Can't do it with Godaddy because you don't have control of Azure. Get the heck off Godaddy.

You need Windows Hello for Business, which is part of Azure Premium Plan 1, that's part of Business Premium... but as I understand it not Godaddy's version of Business Premium.

@HCHTech My clients don't use Premium. So they flat can't do this...

So what I do is make an it@whatever.com shared mailbox, configure it to allow external forwarding... forward that to my ticket mailbox.

Then I create a something@outlook.com account, MFA it via my password manager and make its recovery email it@whatever.com.

When I setup systems, I use THAT personal account to link the unit, so it gets encrypted and stuff THERE in an account I own for the client... then just make a named account on the device in question for that user to use. So they sign in to local Windows as normal, or even if they do the Hello thing it doesn't matter because I have the bitlocker recovery key sorted.

Hello for Business would be easier... but it's just not in the cards without Premium.

To add, this can only be done with the Pro edition of Windows, so make sure the laptops are running Pro before proceeding any further

Just out of curiosity did you try creating an app password @HCHTech ? But I agree Godaddy 365 stinks. I've got one customer using it and I have nothing but headaches getting into since Godaddy seems to change things around every few months.

It's much like when you joined a workstation to a local active directory, once you join a computer to a domain, any domain user can log into that computer.
So...join the workstation to Azure directory, and then any user in that 365 tenant can log into it.

Our "default" minimum for 365 for our clients is M365 Biz Prem.

Back