Finding MS Account tied to existing Office 2013 install

HCHTech

Reaction score
I have a computer with Office 2013 installed, part of a domain. They have Exchange online ($4.95/user plan). Apparently, this copy of office was purchased by the office manager that is no longer with the company. This computer is being replaced, and I'm unable to determine what Microsoft account was used for the initial purchase, and would subsequently be used for a reinstall. Attempting to reset the password using the office managers email address shows no Microsoft account associated. Same with this particular users address. I wonder if the office manager had a personal MS account that was used or something...

Running the "OSPP.VBS" script does indeed give me the last 5 digits of the product key, but produkey, for example, doesn't detect the installation. I haven't tried other softwares, like RWEverything, I'll be back onsite later today, so I may try that.

Is there any way to determine what Microsoft account was used for the initial purchase? I don't want to waste a lot of time on this, but I also don't want to force them to re-buy office if I can avoid it.

Hitting File/Account should display the user information. However not all versions of Office are required to have Microsoft Accounts. OEM versions can be installed with just a key. Office 2013 does NOT store the entire key on the machine. There is NO METHOD to retrieve the product key from the machine as it is NOT stored there. Only an activation token that is hash tied to the hardware. So you can't move the token to a new machine. If they didn't register the product with a Microsoft Account and failed to keep a copy of the key they are screwed.

Thanks, Nline - that's what I was afraid of. I believe that they DID register this with a MS account, so I'll remain optimistic for now. I know you can de-activate one computer from the license and reactivate the replacement computer (as long as it is a retail install and not an OEM install), so that's my plan - if I can get into the MS account that the thing is activated with. I'll report back with my progress.

Ok - Success! Here's what happened, in case it helps someone else in this situation:

I did check File / Account in Word & Outlook, but that only reported user@domain.local. This may be because that was the user currently logged on, I don't know. In any event, I knew this wasn't the MS account that Office was tied to because there was no Microsoft account for that address. Outlook was retrieving email for user@domain.com, but that was an Office365 account for Exchange.

Through trial and error, I discovered that a 2nd former employee that functioned as the onsite tech was the one who actually made the purchase. This employee had a Microsoft account that we could go through the password reset procedure since they had left his email active on Exchange. Once I logged into his account, I found 4 copies of office that had been purchased. Unfortunately, I could see the purchase history, couldn't get the details of the license.

Then, I realized that I was logged into login.live.com, I logged out and relogged into office.live.com. Now, I could see the 4 copies of office, each with an "Install" button. Unfortunately, there was no way to tell from this list which copy was installed where.

On the old computer, I went to c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15, ran cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus, which gave me the last 5 digits of the product key associated with this install.

Back to office.live.com to go through the purchases. For each one, I clicked on "Install from Disk", then "I have a disk", then finally, "View Product Key". Of course, the key that matched the last 5 digits I got from the ospp.vbs script was the last one on the list.

Next, after backing up the Outlook data just in case, I uninstalled Office from the old computer - I was hoping that this would head off any activation issues.

To the new computer now, and back to office.live.com, again I confirmed with the Install From Disk / I have a Disk / View Product Key procedure, which item on the list was the one I wanted. After confirming this, I could click "Install".

Of course, it wouldn't activate, but the telephone activation worked after I recorded the correct "ONE" answer to the question "How many computers has this copy of Office been installed on". Not to pick nits, but the way they worded that question, the correct answer is "Two" even though I uninstalled Office from the old computer. I decided not to pick a grammar fight with Microsoft's activation computers and answered "One", after which the activation completed.

Wow - this sure was easier with disk-based installs and product key cards!

Make sure you document this information for your clients if you are purchasing Office for them. While I was successful, it was an hour procedure to find and confirm the product key. I guess it's more secure - it sure isn't more efficient.

Bookmarked, this is becoming more of an issue often. I have clients who will buy the home version and then buy business Office 365 and have login issues. Then I ask them if they bought it before, nope...nope, oh wait, our boss did buy it last year. ugh....it's a mess many times! Bill that hour pal!

One thing to note a Microsoft Account is not the same as a Office 365 account. And you can buy a copy of Office 2013 register it to a M$ account and then use the product to access your Office 365 account. (or another Microsoft account for that matter.)

Nowhere on a 2013 install does it keep your registration information. So you can be registered and still not be able to get the correct login account from the damn program. At least the 365 version has a manage account button so you can figure that one out.

This is why I stocked up on 2010 keys - I sell a few of them every week.

I have clients who have purchased 2013 and have deeply regretted it (I mean this, they have lost many hours of productivity with 2013).

Thank you for your instructions. I will keep this one bookmarked for future activation issues.

Why did Microsoft do this (of course, the answer is to combat piracy) but surely they could have come up with a more streamlined approach.

I spent 2 nights and several hours activating and assigning 5 copies of Excel 2013; do they REALLY need our DoB and Postal Code?!

I really hate Microsoft for this (oh, and WIndows 8 of course). Requiring to tie a MS account to an installation is an absolute nightmare. Out of frustration and time issues, I no longer will reinstall MS Office 2013 for clients. I let the know that is tied to their MS Account and they will have to reinstall Office from there. Really unforunate.

With all do respect, that's stupid. Handling client issues is the services you are supposed to provide. Office is far from the only product with annoying product activation issues. Reinstall adobe acrobat from a dead system. Our job is to handle pita for clients. Not give up.

This is why I stocked up on 2010 keys - I sell a few of them every week.

I have clients who have purchased 2013 and have deeply regretted it (I mean this, they have lost many hours of productivity with 2013).

Thank you for your instructions. I will keep this one bookmarked for future activation issues.

Why did Microsoft do this (of course, the answer is to combat piracy) but surely they could have come up with a more streamlined approach.

I spent 2 nights and several hours activating and assigning 5 copies of Excel 2013; do they REALLY need our DoB and Postal Code?!

What they've done is force people to look closer at LebreOffice

At least spell it right if your going to spam threads with Linux and LibreOffice solutions
You got me on that one, thank you for helping locate and correct my problem. Typing fast, not thinking, I will be more fastidious regarding spelling in the future and my apologies to you sir... :)

It would be nice if MS allowed you to enter a friendly name next to each install. I was able to determine the order of keys redeemed is top down when viewing the list under the account. I read somewhere that it will only allow 10 licenses per account which is very lame. We started using our own account for redeeming client installs because of employees registering an account then leaving the business. It's a big mess if you don't have documentation. It's only slightly less of a mess if you do.

Back