Excel thinks file from NAS came from the internet, so opens it in Protected View

HCHTech

Reaction score
As per the title. This file has never been emailed and has always lived on the NAS. I have a mapped drive to this location, and I'm sure other files on the NAS open normally. The "Info" screen for this file says "This file came from the internet, so we opened it in a way that helps keep your computer safe".

Is there any way to change the "flag" for just one file? I don't really want to turn off protected view, but I'm considering it.

Well, if figures - writing this out caused me to find the issue - I think. It seems if you map a drive with IP address, Office treats it as "the internet". If you map it with a Netbios name, it doesn't. That seems silly, but would help explain this issue. I'm going to change it to \\server\share and see what happens...

Also remember that if someone did download a file from the internet directly to the NAS, you're still going to get this warning for that file. You'd have to turn off protected view and either save the file with a new name or save it over itself to "localize" it.

Add trusted location.

A reasonable solution. But one that carries security issues of its own.

If the material is "well vetted" before ever being placed there, it's a perfectly good solution.

I turn off the whole "Protected view" thing first thing for Office/M365. It has never saved me, nor any client I'm aware of, from anything and it is a grand PITA given how much is exchanged via email attachment from known and trusted sources as well as download from same.

Back