EventID 153

Haole Boy

Reaction score
Aloha. Hoping someone can help educate me. Was running drive snapshot and it started reporting bad sector errors like this:

C: 710058369 Sector bad (read needs 0 ms)

So I looked in the event log and found several EventID 153:

Warning 10/7/2019 13:30 disk 153 None The IO operation at logical block address 0x35b8f638 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000040) was retried.

From googling I now understand that the 153 does not necessarily indicate a bad drive, but rather that there was a timeout waiting for a response to a read/write request. OK, stuff happens.

My question is how do I determine what device the PDO name: \Device\00000040 refers to? Is it my local hard drive? Or the external USB drive where the backup is being written to?

Mahalo,

Harry Z

I always consider it such or a chipset driver failure. Time to run diagnostics on your drives. Or just replace. Drives are too cheap to waste billable time chasing your tail.

The errors occurred when running Drive Snapshot. I contacted the author, and he speculated that somehow DS lost access to the VSS copy of the disk. Re-ran DS and no errors. gSmartControl gave the disk a clean bill of health (with SMART indicators, anyway).

Mahalo for your responses

When it doubt, replace it. How much is a replacement drive? $30? Unless you live in a third world country where $30 is a week's wage, sh*t-can it and move on.

Back