Electronics-recycling innovator faces prison for trying to extend computers' lives

Rarely do you ever get a computer in that shape anyway. Or even want to inflect on a customer all the bloatware anyway.

I hate to say this, but I would like to see them go after all the shops selling refurbs that have not been properly refurbished. I think a good majority of them have computers on the shelf without the MS refurbisher licences.

It would force every one on a level playing field when it comes to refurbished computer prices.
I would like them to go after Microsoft for selling non-transferable licenses that is tied to BOTH the user AND the machine. Its BS in my opinion that they can sell a PC with software included in the price of the original purchase, but then won't let you sell that PC without a new license for the software that was already paid for, NOR will they let the original owner who paid for it in the first place keep the license to use on another machine.

Its BS in my opinion that they can sell a PC with software included in the price of the original purchase, but then won't let you sell that PC without a new license for the software that was already paid for
You can as long as the aforementiond recovery options are intact.
NOR will they let the original owner who paid for it in the first place keep the license to use on another machine.

That is why there are Retail copies of Windows.

I don't like the rules any more than anyone else. But all of the shops that don't folloe the ruls put the ones who do at a great disadvantage.
It is no better than the shops who load bootleg software on machines and wont pay for the software but make huge profits from doing it.

I would like them to go after Microsoft for selling non-transferable licenses that is tied to BOTH the user AND the machine. Its BS in my opinion that they can sell a PC with software included in the price of the original purchase, but then won't let you sell that PC without a new license for the software that was already paid for, NOR will they let the original owner who paid for it in the first place keep the license to use on another machine.

It's all about how copyright law is written and enforced. A copyrighted work, which includes software, is owned by the copyright holder. Unless the law says otherwise an owner can do whatever they want. I hate their stupid games just like anyone else. But legislating stuff can be a very slippery slope. We all say we'd do things differently. But it's hard to really understand unless you are standing in the other person's boots.

Europeans used to ridicule Japanese products, especially cars and motorcycles.
"Jap Crap" is still an overused term here in Australia. Sadly, anything "Chinese" gets the same (or similar) negative statements.
People here have forgotten that this country grew and prospered by the hard work of Chinese, Italian, German, Greek British (and later - others) immigrants.
Hey, people look down their judgemental noses at the bus and taxi drivers and remark "look at all those Indians and Pakki's taking our jobs!"
The fact is they are willing to do those jobs that "we" don't want to.

My Grandfather fought the "Yellow Peril" in New Guinea and Indonesia and till his dying day would not buy, use, or drive anything "Jap!" For years our elders told him his TV, car, kitchen appliances etc were "made in England " lol
As children we listened attentively to the horror stories and for a time believed that they were still the enemy.
But we grew up. Realised the war was over and that holding on to prejudices and racial beliefs was not how it should be. I liked my Datsun!
When I came to Adelaide 14 years ago, I discovered that there is a large population of German and of German origin people here. In fact a lot of this area was originally settled by Germanic people.
Sadly there is still also an air of racism toward those German people, not directed at anyone personally, but against the German ethos. I guess this happens anywhere...

I guess this happens anywhere
I think it does. I base this what I was told by an older woman who had hosted lots of exchange students over the years, from lots of different nations / cultures. She said once she got close to those people they would open up about how each had it's discriminated classes.

You can not even give away a Windows OS disk no matter how you label it unless you have an OEM agreement with MS.
The case centers on "restore discs," which can be used only on computers that already have the licensed Windows software and can be downloaded free from the computer's manufacturer, in this case Dell.
If he was able to get it from Dell legally - which it seems he did - then he needs no agreement with Microsoft.

Then he copied it and redistributed it. Only the OEM's (Dell etc.) have permission from MS to redistribute them for free or for a cost.

Yep. And I'm sure the contract between OEM's and M$ clearly state they cannot just sell/ship OEM disks to just anyone. They have to be attached to a serial number and customer. Been through this many times with Dell. If the name and address does not match what is on the serial number record Dell will not ship a disk. On a couple of occasions I was actually able to get the previous owner to update the Dell record with the new customer's name and Dell then shipped the disk.

So, basically, should have put a *nix OS on the machines then.
Yep, Then the end user of that "recycled" computer has the responsibility of purchasing an OS or obtaining it however they see fit.
That is how you protect your company from issues like these. Do it right or don't do it at all whether you disagree with the rules or not. .

So, basically, should have put a *nix OS on the machines then.

Yes that would have worked, his mistake was trying to play fast and loose with the popular OS. He could have simply included some documentation on how an end user might get installation media to deploy windows themselves with the license on the sticker, and he'd have been fine.

He is playing the refurbishment game without being a proper refurbisher in accordance to MS's rules, so yeah... MS is going to land on him hard.

Back