DSL & Cable questions

C6Gunner

Reaction score
[A computer business question]

I was just wondering how you guys connect the computers you're fixing to the Internet by means of DSL or Cable if required?

The last time I had my business going, most people were still using modems, so getting online to retrieve drivers and updates was easy.

I'm not sure what to do now to connect the machines on my workbench (because I would need a dedicated DSL and/or a Cable modem).

I know I could go to my personal machine, download them, burn them, and bring the CD over to the other computer; but there's has to be a better way.

Does anyone have a DSL/Cable modem on their workbench?

Steve

I don't have an actual work bench but if I did that would be where my modem and router would be located. The machines I would work on may or may not be wireless and wired is more secure and easier. Typically I don't bring the PCs home unless I know it will require lots of work and maybe lots of updates and the customer is on dial-up

I've got a network, wired and wireless available for use. I'm getting ready to create a vlan for bench machines only. I will use that vlan to keep my machines safe from viruses and snooping programs possibly installed on other machines. I will also be setting up a squid server to help cache the updates. I've also started using Autopatcher to apply the patches to the machines, very nice

A VLAN is a great idea, and I believe Squids are still free - which is great. I haven't had a chance to use AutoPatcher yet , but I will as soon as I get a chance.

When it comes to my setup, I think I'll simply move my cable modem and router downstairs by my bench, like Blues said.

Just run a piece of cat 5 and the put a hub/switch down there. Or you can always set up wireless, and use a wireless adapter on the machine(s) you are fixing. I'm still working on running fiber to my office from th house. Small run but the wireless is working too well.

I'm considering smoothwall, ipcop, astaro, and possibly 1 more. I'm leaning towards astaro since they make appliances and they sell commercial products, which I am considering using at client sites.

Hmm... I guess I'll have to get familiar with Unix/Linux in the near future. I've only ever installed Ubuntu a while ago - and that was just out of curiosity. :cool:

Back