[SOLVED] Draytek 2832 strange issue

Here's a suggestion for completeness - have you tried a proper crossover cable or a cable with only orange and green pairs wired?

I spent an hour on the phone to Draytek support today and they have no idea what's wrong. Wire shark shows loads of packet retransmissions. They have taken a backup of router settings and wire shark trace to try and replicate in there lab.

***UPDATE***

So i have parked this for several weeks due to holiday and other projects and decided to pick it back up again today. Went onto the Draytek website and saw that a new firmware was released in the last few days, looking through the release notes i found this...

Improved interoperability of Ethernet WAN2 interface

So i connected the Draytek back up and tested the issue as before, when the WAN2 connection was 10/100 lots of packet loss and speedtest wouldn't run, upgraded the firmware and BANG...it started working!!!!

So after hours on the phone to Draytek support and them not believing there was an issue it looks like they finally fixed it. As you can imagine im a bit annoyed that after so many hours on the phone and site visits they didn't even bother to call me and tell me about the new firmware.

Anyway, issue resolved

It's tough to fault the people answering the phone as they do not set policy. Last year I had a customer with a brand new HP business class SFF. We also had a 4tb WD USB drive attached for backups. If the disk was plugged into the machine and rebooted/powered up the machine just hung in BIOS. Their response was "problem with the drive" even though there was nothing wrong on other machines. Swapped it out anyways, same answer.

Just started demanding to escalate with each phone call. Came to speak to someone who was actually dealing with that problem. Couple of experimental BIOS updates later and the problem was gone. Reminds me of back in the days with dial up Internet problems.

Last edited:
Back