Do you buy used RAM? If so, where?

brockalee

Reaction score
I need to buy some DDR & DDR2 RAM to have for upgrades and refurbished computers. I've exhausted my spare parts lying around. I can buy them new, but dang it's expensive and hard to mark up for a profit.

Anyone know of a good place for used 1-2GB DIMMs, low density RAM? Or would you suggest against buying used?

I need to buy some DDR & DDR2 RAM to have for upgrades and refurbished computers. I've exhausted my spare parts lying around. I can buy them new, but dang it's expensive and hard to mark up for a profit.

Anyone know of a good place for used 1-2GB DIMMs, low density RAM? Or would you suggest against buying used?

I learned not to buy used memory a long time ago, Kingston valuram is cheap enough thru D&H or ASI

RAM is probably one of the few items I would feel confident buying used provided it is from a reputable seller and a reputable brand name.

I would, however, run Memtest 86+ on it as soon as I get it, I would stay away from China because you might be getting knock-offs, and I would stay away from High-Density junk RAM modules.

I have tons of used RAM and it is most all good as far as I know. Generally, it simply outlasts the usefullness of the computer it is in.

I would also buy a used CPU provided it is clean, comes with straight pins, and is guaranteed to work. I mean, I have supported thousands of computers and seen only about one (1) bad CPU in my life. Usually if there is a problem it is because someone over heated it or bent the pins.

Motherboards. I would avoid like the plague. New ones are unreliable enough. That said, if a manufacturer such as Dell or HP sends me a Refurbished board or sells me one because that is what they have, I buy it without hesitation.

I personally wouldn't buy hard drives that are used because new ones are unreliable enough and you can't really trust the motives of every seller...

What is your budget for 2 GB DDR 1 RAM? I am selling some on eBay. Right now it is at $30 + $1.30 shipping... Don't worry it's good quality and in good shape.

I get DDR and DDR2 memory from NewEgg all the time and have no problem marking it up. When we first started out we had a good stock of used memory, but since we've depleted it we just go with new product.

You can get 1GB PC3200 for under $25 from dandh
not sure why you can get DDR3 PC3 8500 for under $8.00
but i'm dating myself saying I remember back in the day when 1MB memory was around $100.00

Memory is one of the least expensive parts you can buy, I wouldnt chance saving a buck or two buying used. IMO

www.crucial.com new only.

Buying it used..who knows what sort of handling techniques the knucklehead that removed them from computers did...fingers on chips, placed on top of a Faraday bag (the worst place you can place one besides inside a microwave oven).

+1...I just ordered some Crucial DDR2 and DDR3 (new of course) from Amazon for troubleshooting.

+1...I just ordered some Crucial DDR2 and DDR3 (new of course) from Amazon for troubleshooting.

I do the same as YeOlStoneCat. I have a few sticks around for troubleshooting as well as temporarily speeding up machines in the shop during repair. If I see an improvement in performance I use it as a suggestive selling point when I call the client. "While I was working on your computer I temporarily put in more memory and found that it runs faster. I can leave that new memory in place for an additional $$." I rarely have them refuse.

I dont know what you class as expensive in the US but here in Australia, my supplier has 1GB DDR2-800 for $16 2GB DDR2-800 for $33.00.
This is pretty cheap so far as I can see, I have no issue marking this up by my standard markup.

As for DDR3 its really cheap, Im buying them in lots of 30 units at the moment as we are selling alot of new systems right now.

My supplier has a 3-4 day turnaround on any returns, and this company gives Lifetime warranty, last year we sent back a 6 year old stick which they replaced with no issues.

Wait... that's NOT what they mean by "burn-in"?? :confused::confused:

LOL.....there ya go!

I far prefer to order memory specifically tested/approved for your exact make/model computer. Not just pick up "any old pair of DDR2 pcxx00. Far less chance of issues/quirks.

The only "old" memory we'll usually have, is new memory removed from new computers when doing upgrades....we'll shelve it, and since we focus on the same models of business computers...HP Business Desktop DC series and Dell Optiplex series...that extra memory will be compatible for them.

"Old memory"..who knows where it came from? Did the computer it came from die from a power surge? Did it's power supply go wonky, or was it the survivor of a lightening strike?

Memory is one of the more important components of your computer....why try to save a couple of bucks for something so...crucial? (love that pun..Crucial..HAH!)

Last edited:
Back