DELL asking for bitlocker key after update

Velvis

Reaction score
Dell laptop is asking for a bitlocker key that the owner said they no nothing about after doing updates.
After some googling it seems like its a common issue. I have tried a bunch of the solutions people said have been successful but none of them solved this particular laptop.

Anyone here run into this before?

So you are going to make us guess what you have already tried?
I've tried a bunch of things with the BIOS settings listed on Dell's website resetting the BIOS, shutting off secure boot, some command line stuff. I was hoping someone here might have a better knowledge of the issue.

I've tried a bunch of things with the BIOS settings listed on Dell's website resetting the BIOS, shutting off secure boot, some command line stuff. I was hoping someone here might have a better knowledge of the issue.
There is nothing...

Let me repeat this... There is NOTHING you can do on the machine itself once it loses the bitlocker key.

You have two paths forward, nuke the unit and set it up from scratch, ore use the recovery key buried in the user's Microsoft account.

If there was something you could do to "fix" this via some sort of security bypass, the encryption would be worthless.

And yes, Windows updates can trigger this... heck having a USB storage device attached during a reboot can trigger this. Users must have access to, and maintain their bitlocker keys. Their only other choice is to not use Windows.

There is nothing...

Let me repeat this... There is NOTHING you can do on the machine itself once it loses the bitlocker key.

You have two paths forward, nuke the unit and set it up from scratch, ore use the recovery key buried in the user's Microsoft account.

If there was something you could do to "fix" this via some sort of security bypass, the encryption would be worthless.

And yes, Windows updates can trigger this... heck having a USB storage device attached during a reboot can trigger this. Users must have access to, and maintain their bitlocker keys. Their only other choice is to not use Windows.
+1

Bitlocker is (has been for years) enabled by default, if you sign into a computer with a Microsoft account...instead of a local user account. (Or joins Azure AD...in which case, pretty much same thing). It's part of the Out of Box setup.

Paragraph 3..."BitLocker automatic device encryption"

What causes some issues with residential end users, who were never aware it happened, is that for certain updates to the system, BitLocker needs to be "suspended"...for certain updates to happen. (such as TPM firmware, UEFI drivers, etc) Upon reinitialization, it can ask for it.

When BitLocker gets initially turned on during the OOBE...it FORCED you to save the keys somewhere. To a removable disk for example, or...to your Microsoft account. It will not proceed until one of those is satisfied. So..the end users do have the key somewhere. They just forgot what they did.

Likely will find it at account.microsoft.com logging in via browser,

I had a Dell laptop do the same. No Microsoft account.
Did a nuke and pave.
A few weeks later customer call and let me know that they just got around to check the laptop out and it said Recycle Bin in corrupt.
Waiting for them to drop off. I think I have the solution to fix the Recycle Bin.
They are using One Drive for their data.

I had a Dell laptop do the same. No Microsoft account.

This bit is simply wrong... Windows only encrypts under very specific circumstances. And while yes you can enable bitlocker without a Microsoft account, you have to manually do so, and utterly ignore its suggestion to record the recovery key, put it on a USB drive, and keep it in a safe place to find yourself there.

I don't care what your memory says... it's wrong! And I don't say this in a hostile manner... I say this as a human being that's clicked on the stupid too. We all get tired... we all tinker... we always forget. But that's why we OneDrive all the things!

Which is connected to a MS account.

Not if it's M365 though... The M365 Business Basic and Standard do not support he use of Windows Hello for Business which does all this fun stuff. You can't login to the OS with that account. So if Windows Hello is disabled, AND you're getting OneDrive via entry level M365 subs you won't encrypt.

But it will still bug you for a PERSONAL Microsoft account. Which is a huge issue for businesses, because that machine can be encrypted by a user that's long gone...

So further investigation:

1) The computer is listed on her Microsoft Account but it says no keys have been saved to the account.
2) It's Windows home edition, does home even have bitlocker support?

So further investigation:

1) The computer is listed on her Microsoft Account but it says no keys have been saved to the account.
2) It's Windows home edition, does home even have bitlocker support?
Yes, and thanks to 1 that means it was linked to another account first.

It would not be bitlocked if it wasn't supported. Home supports a limited version of BitLocker called device encryption. It doesn't have all the management features of Bitlocker in Win 10 pro but the technology is the same. As @Sky-Knight said you have the wrong Microsoft Account. Is there more than one user? Does the owner have more than one email address? Any email can be a Microsoft Account.

I would think this should be a service that we should all offer, to backup encryption keys to USB for client.

Let's face it, most clients don't know about the tech details and are often unmotivated unless something bad happens which at that point they refuse to pay. Better to get them to buy insurance now than nothing.

Back