Dead Sony Vaio Laptop

What do you want to bet the laptop came back on while zipped up for whatever reason and got really hot, then shut down.

What do you want to bet the laptop came back on while zipped up for whatever reason and got really hot, then shut down.

Even if the laptop switch itself on while on transit is that enough to damage the motherboard. This was only a 2hrs flying time.

the majority of the work we do is motherboard repairs and I would normally bet on this being one of two things either a damaged USB port or a faulty GPU and if I was a betting man I would have my money on the GPU.

Unlike most laptops like Acers for instance a Sony Vaio board will power down after a second or to if there is a GPU fault where as a Acer will boot up like normal only without a display.

the majority of the work we do is motherboard repairs and I would normally bet on this being one of two things either a damaged USB port or a faulty GPU and if I was a betting man I would have my money on the GPU.

Unlike most laptops like Acers for instance a Sony Vaio board will power down after a second or to if there is a GPU fault where as a Acer will boot up like normal only without a display.

Hi and thanks for responding. The laptop does not even power on for a second or two, no noise, no beep, fan does not spin/click. The only thing that shows is just the green led when the power button is pressed and then it keeps flashing every few seconds.

I do not want to go for GPU repairs as that would only be a temporary fix, I am not even sure if GPU repair would work anyway based on how the problem occured. If I cannot get a replacement board here in the UK, I will return the laptop to the customer. Anyone know of sony parts supplier in the UK? Need to contact them.

There are a number of companies in the UK who offer motherboard level repairs on a no fix no fee basis. Possibly meaning you do not need a replacement board.

2 I can think of off the top of my head are ACI (RMA Updates) www.rmaupdates.com Tel 020 8830 1958

Circuit Repair Center - www.circuitrepaircentre.co.uk/ Tel 01623 473957

rma updates charge a fixed fee of 60+vat no fix no fee. they can arrange collection of the laptop (not stripped down), or you arrange collection and redlivery.

CRC Laptop main board repairs £45 + VAT (includes re-balling)
XBOX 360 repair £35 +VAT (includes re-balling)
PS3 repair £40 +VAT (includes re-balling)
also
D/C socket replacement £30 + VAT
USB socket replacement £30 + VAT
AUDIO socket replacement £30 + VAT
and
Main board chip replacements

Again collection / redelivery is arranged by either party.

I have used RMA updates numerous times in the past, and can recommend them.

CRC are a new company who I am just starting up with. I cannot recommend them as of yet, but will see shortly.

Disassemble the laptop and remove the motherboard then use hotair if u have to Reheat the northbridge chip within 30 min...

Hey, just did that with a hot air gun to reflow earlier today. Reassembled still doing the same thing. Have had success with hp laptops. Maybe I will reheat again.

Perhaps the customer got too close to a source of EMI.
All other potential solutions everyone stated would normally be correct.
But in the case of EMI, any number of chips on the board could have been fried.
And at an airport today is a good place to get some EMI with all the new scanners and x-ray machines.:(

Good Luck!

Back