Dead Sony Vaio Laptop

PC-Man

Reaction score
Hello All,

I thought I need a second opinion about this laptop before I start ordering any parts or otherwise.

The client said that she last used the laptop minutes before she borded an airplane. She had the laptop on it own zip bag and put the zip bag together in a hand luggage.

The laptop will no longer startup, when you press the power button, the power led flashes a few seconds, have removed the battery and tried with AC adapter same result.

The laptop have no physical damage. The laptop is about 14 months old and out of warranty. The motheboard will be very expensive. I will be taken the laptop apart but just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Just a thought since you mentioned she was getting on a plane, did you try removing or re-seating the memory? Also, have you tried a different adapter? Just my 2 cents before you call it quits.

Just a thought since you mentioned she was getting on a plane, did you try removing or re-seating the memory? Also, have you tried a different adapter? Just my 2 cents before you call it quits.

Thanks for responding, the laptop does not come on at all, the memory will not prevent the laptop from starting at all, if there was no picture on the screen yes I will suspect is the memory, I have reset it though. Tested the output voltage on the adapter which was ok.

Any comments welcome

Even if the adapter is putting out the right voltage, I have seen them stretch and therefore not make the proper contact to start a machine. Also, just for future reference, I have personally seen a laptop that would not start at all from a memory issue. You might try a new stick that you are sure is good.
Good luck!

Even if the adapter is putting out the right voltage, I have seen them stretch and therefore not make the proper contact to start a machine. Also, just for future reference, I have personally seen a laptop that would not start at all from a memory issue. You might try a new stick that you are sure is good.
Good luck!

There are 2 memory modules, have tested with 1 at a time now same result.

Will update with progress thanks.

Remove the battery and remove the power adapter then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds then plug only the power adapter back in and try starting.

Try starting with just the battery and without the power adapter.

Is the power led on the laptop the only light flashing? No other lights flashing like num lock, caps lock or scroll lock? Is there a light on the power adapter?

Remove the battery and remove the power adapter then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds then plug only the power adapter back in and try starting.

Try starting with just the battery and without the power adapter.

Is the power led on the laptop the only light flashing? No other lights flashing like num lock, caps lock or scroll lock? Is there a light on the power adapter?

that drains out all the power when u old it for 30 seconds right?

Hello All,

I thought I need a second opinion about this laptop before I start ordering any parts or otherwise.

The client said that she last used the laptop minutes before she borded an airplane. She had the laptop on it own zip bag and put the zip bag together in a hand luggage.

The laptop will no longer startup, when you press the power button, the power led flashes a few seconds, have removed the battery and tried with AC adapter same result.

The laptop have no physical damage. The laptop is about 14 months old and out of warranty. The motheboard will be very expensive. I will be taken the laptop apart but just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks in advance for your time.

What model is it? Does this VAIO have a NVIDIA graphics chip?

that drains out all the power when u old it for 30 seconds right?
Yes it should, its called draining the flea power. You want to remove all power sources then hold the power button down for around 20 - 30 seconds then plug in just the power adapter in case there is a problem with the battery circuitry.

Have tried all of the above suggested methods but none of then works. The model is VPCEB15E. When the power button is press it flashes a few seconds and then goes off.

I have disassembled the laptop and put everything back, no joy. I just have the AC adapter plugged in without battery at the moment and the power led is dimming as if the laptop is in hibernation. Note I have a spare adapter which I also tested with, same result.

I can't even find a relacement motherboard for this unit. I still do not know why the laptop will just die when the owner have shutdown the system at last use. The motherboard is so small, I was surprise upon opening the unit. I am thinking maybe the power switch "board" maybe faulty and there is no way I can short it.

When you had it disassembled did you check for any damaged components like swelled caps, burned resistors or didoes?

Have you tried removing everything you can such as hard drive, DVD drive, WiFi card, etc. and then starting to see if any of them maybe shorting it out?

I see you have tested each memory module one at a time, have you tested both slots for the memory modules? Have you tried using known good memory?

Maybe these two links will help you somehow, but at the time of this post the Sony eSupport Knowledgebase is undergoing maintenance:

The computer does not display, beep, clear POST or boot.
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=C390705&fes=true

The notebook computer does not turn on
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/...yKC&externalId=C390934&fes=true&mdl=VPCEB15FM

Why you ask if the usb port is damaged?
Its probably not the case here, but sometimes the pins in a USB port or pins from a USB cable can break and cross the USB ports power pin and ground pin causing a short.

When you had it disassembled did you check for any damaged components like swelled caps, burned resistors or didoes?

Have you tried removing everything you can such as hard drive, DVD drive, WiFi card, etc. and then starting to see if any of them maybe shorting it out?

I see you have tested each memory module one at a time, have you tested both slots for the memory modules? Have you tried using known good memory?

Maybe these two links will help you somehow, but at the time of this post the Sony eSupport Knowledgebase is undergoing maintenance:

The computer does not display, beep, clear POST or boot.
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=C390705&fes=true

The notebook computer does not turn on
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/...yKC&externalId=C390934&fes=true&mdl=VPCEB15FM

Its probably not the case here, but sometimes the pins in a USB port or pins from a USB cable can break and cross the USB ports power pin and ground pin causing a short.

Ok, I have just disconnected the ribbon cable to the USB ports, the power led is still flashing. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was just trying to answer Rafael question. I didn't think it would be the USB port.

I am thinking it is a short or bad component or maybe even a burned CPU.

From the diagnostics and tests you have done, I would also say it is the CPU. Do you have a spare, or could get hold of one?

If a CPU swap does not work, then it is a mobo failure. Instead of replacing the board complete, there are firms around, which repair bad mobo's. I know of a couple who are on TN, but I cannot remember their id's sorry. :(

Last edited:
I have never come across a failed CPU in laptops before, if the system was powering up but no display I would have suspected a memory, cpu etc. The motherboard have Intel chipset. Very weird problem really, sony motherboards are hard to find and they can be very expensive. I will update of any new developments. Thanks to you all.

I have never come across a failed CPU in laptops before, if the system was powering up but no display I would have suspected a memory, cpu etc. The motherboard have Intel chipset. Very weird problem really, sony motherboards are hard to find and they can be very expensive. I will update of any new developments. Thanks to you all.

You may not have to replace the mobo as suspected. As I have mentioned earlier, there are places which repair mobo's down to component level. I do know of a couple on here, but cannot remember their tn id's. Also pm'd you.

Back