Completed my first iPad repair!

AndrewH

Reaction score
Finished my first repair last night. iPad mini 2. A few things I can do better for the next time, but overall it went pretty smooth.

Lessons learned:
-Be aware of where the wifi and cellular cables are under the glass. I got lucky, but now after doing one of these repairs I am much more aware of where I can shove and pry under the glass and where to stay the hell away from.

-Gloves are a must if you don't want fingerprints on the glass. Luckily my wife works in the medical industry and brought me home a few pairs for now.

-I stupidly got the digitizer cable sandwiched between the frame and the glass. Luckily I noticed it within the first 10min since the glass was lifting there. I was easily able to heat the glass back up, lift it, and using a metal spudger get the cable off the glue, and to go down in its little hole. Saved myself there.

-Need to figure out how to clean the actual LCD panel itself. It had some smudges on it. Best I could come up with on short notice was an old microfiber cloth that I got with a cellphone screen protector I had bought a couple years ago.

-Use packing tape on old glass if it is cracked the hell up. I did not and getting all the glass bits and pieces of broken glass up took at least a solid 45min.

-Adhesive remover + Alcohol. I didn't have any of these, but yet again my medial working wife saved the day with some supplies from work :) Pics below. For future use I took someones advise and ordered 1 scotch sticker remover marker as well as some "Quick n' easy adhesive remover" (used for removing weather stripping from cars. I am still looking for an alcohol solution if anyone has any suggestions.

IMG_20160127_080317.jpg IMG_20160127_080331.jpg

All in all it was pretty successful and I made a profit. So win win in the end. Now I am much more prepped and informed for next time so it should go way smoother on my next one.

Back