Strange Rock is I found

frase

Reaction score
This is a small rock I found years ago, it feels like polished glass to touch. The other thing is, it not only looks cool. It is magnetic as you can see in the last image. Am highballin, though would anyone know what type of rock I may have? As you can see that is sitting on a candle holder lid. Though I have taken the neodymium magnets, from a Spinner HDD. As demonstrated in my little scene I made with the magnets a while ago.

The rock get's a magnetic force and attracts towards it, and stays; just like a steel object?

TOP.jpg

side.jpg

magnet.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no expert either but to be magnetic it must have some iron content.

Or are you saying the actual stone is magnetic in that it will attract a piece of steel? If so thats really unusual I think.
The only thing I can think of in that case is that it contains some magnetite?

I'm not an expert, but it looks and behaves like a jasper.
Looked up "Jasper Stone" looks like it cool.

I'm no expert either but to be magnetic it must have some iron content.

Or are you saying the actual stone is magnetic in that it will attract a piece of steel? If so thats really unusual I think.
The only thing I can think of in that case is that it contains some magnetite?
I will make a dodgy video and upload it somewhere demonstrating it. I am saying the rock is attracted to the magnet, it does not attract steel.

Definitely an iron ore of some variety, and it honestly looks like this has been through a rock tumbler.

There are some natural conditions that will result in the soft, rounded edges (think sea glass and many river jacks) but not that level of gloss.

With that shape and finish I'd guess it did spend some time in a rock polishing tumbler. Iron oxide can appear to be orange in color. Does it change color if you wet the surface?

Back