Clients google business listing listed as 'Permenantly Closed'

With using a book someone could easily take a picture of the passwords and you'd never know.

Again, the first rule of security is controlling physical access. I don't care what method you're using, as soon as you are not controlling physical access everything else is moot.

Not that anyone does it, but I wouldn't care if they had one book or ten, so long as they controlled who was able to get access to it/them.

Only password management software I trust is LastPass.

I've been using Password Safe for many, many years now. But I never have it generate a password for me, I create my own, and now virtually all of those are portmanteau passwords. My reason for having a Password Manager is more for the occasional memory lapse than anything else. I never want to rely on anything outside my own head for being able to present a password except on the rare occasion where I have a "brain fart" and just can't pull the odd one out.

Tons of good password managers out there now that are "you hold the key/zero knowledge". That's not a unique feature to just one.
BitWarden is a great "open source" PW manager. I use that personally.
We use PassPortal at work.

Regarding the whole original topic....that's one of the things I've wondered about "support" with Gmail....we don't resell that nor support it, but...often wondered what techs do when things blow up...who do you turn to, how good is their reseller/partner support.

Regarding the whole original topic....that's one of the things I've wondered about "support" with Gmail....we don't resell that nor support it, but...often wondered what techs do when things blow up...who do you turn to, how good is their reseller/partner support.

I've actually dealt with Gmail's support on an enterprise level. They are actually pretty good. When someone is using G-suite that is. If you are a home user unless you have a google pixel and have direct contact with their support team through the phone, they can be hard to get ahold of.

Idk if the OP has reached out to them. Then again like i said before if you aren't paying for G-Suite and just using the Analytics stuff and regular google offerings you may not be able to easily find a way to contact them.

To me this is like a backup that requires human intervention to complete. It's not a backup.

I can tell you for my wife she has an excel document on her PC that is encrypted and has all her passwords in it. This file is synced between our nas and my pc as a backup. Done automatically using free file sync.

With using a book someone could easily take a picture of the passwords and you'd never know.

You get away with what you can when you're working with technophobes. Anyone that can handle using a spreadsheet, can handle using a password manager. Your encrypted spreadsheet by the way, can be decrypted on a whim... Excel's encryption has been broken for years.

You get away with what you can when you're working with technophobes. Anyone that can handle using a spreadsheet, can handle using a password manager. Your encrypted spreadsheet by the way, can be decrypted on a whim... Excel's encryption has been broken for years.

I know which is why I don't use it. I've tried to tell her that. but it is safer than having them written down somewhere or godforbid in a file that isn't encrypted. It would at least slow someone down.

. . . but it is safer than having them written down somewhere . . . It would at least slow someone down.

We're going to have to agree to disagree, and pretty vehemently (on my end), about that first assertion.

Anything that is in electronic medium that has weak or no security is far, far, far, easier for the determined nefarious cyber criminal to get their hands on than someone's notebook in their closet, desk, stack of old magazines, etc.

I'd rather someone have a written list than either a file on their computer with no encryption or encryption that's already known to be not secure. The probability of anyone stumbling over same if even some modicum of care is taken to keep it "out of reach" is very, very small.

Yep, because the book isn't web accessible... ever.

Personal physical theft happens at a rate so vastly reduced over electronic exposure as to be the very definition of several orders of magnitude.

But habits are hard to break... and in our spouses... even more so sometimes.

My wife used to do the same thing, then I forced her to bitwarden because we own a technology company and the excel thing was embarrassing. Now she looks at that old sheet and cringes. Bitwarden is just easier to use than the old copy/paste. Not to mention she can now get into my stuff that's TOTP protected too. I can get into her stuff as well.. MUCH better solution.

Back