[REQUEST] Certain Youtube videos very low and distorted audio

Craka

Reaction score
I can't seem to work this one out, has me stumped. I have a Windows 7 64bit machine, audio is inbuilt on M/B . All other audio seems to be working fine and as expected, ie decent level and not distorted.

However the are multiple Youtube videos that the audio will not play correctly, I can go to some other youtube videos and the audio plays fine. This was first noted in Firefox, it's not the mixer issue either, ie when video is playing going the sound mixer and the level for firefox is adjusted up. Also I can see the A/V graph indicator popping up and down as it should representing the audio reproduction however I can only faintly hear the audio and what I can hear is distorted. I cleared the cache in firefox aswell. I also though it may have been an issue between Flash and HTML5 playback, so I downloaded a plugin for firefox to be able to force playback in either player and problem still occurs in either type of playback.
I've also tried clearing the cache in Flashplayer.

I thought it may have only been occurring in firefox however I downloaded chrome on to the machine and the same issue is occurring with it.

I've uninstalled the audio driver from dev manager, restarted machine and let drivers refresh and I'm still having the same issue.
I've also uninstalled adobe flash player and still having the same issue.
Again this is not related to one youtube videos, it relates to many but not all. Otherwise audio seems to be fine in everything else. This machine as not having this issue prior to Christmas

Just to clarify when checking the video stat information in yourtube, both videos where sound works and where it doesn't are using webM and vp9 codec.

Last edited:
Could you disable the onboard audio, throw in a cheap soundcard (about $10. I keep one handy for issues like this) and see if there is any improvement?

Could you disable the onboard audio, throw in a cheap soundcard (about $10. I keep one handy for issues like this) and see if there is any improvement?

Hi Barcelona,
I'm quite certain it's not hardware problem, it's software related/codec related, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Sound it working fine in all other applicatons. I would say 50percent of you tube videos works fine but the other 50 percent it is not.

Get one of those cheao USB to Audio adapters, they work like a charm (no drivers needed) and will almost always override the built in audio, great for testing like this.

Also, sometimes I keep handy a driver with a pre-imaged copy of Windows 7/8/10 that I use to see if it's a software issue. Plug the drive in, setup basic drivers, test. Problem is still there? Sounds like a bug or hardware issue. Problem gone? Windows is the culprit.

Back