[REQUEST] Can't get TPM enabled on my Dell G315 laptop.

Metanis

Reaction score
I am assuming later this year I'll get some machines that would be capable of running Windows 11 if only TPM and UEFI Secure boot were enabled. So I decided to learn how on my own devices and the ramifications. I immediately ran into a snag on my own daily work machine!

Laptop is 8th Gen Core I5 and should be capable of running Windows 11 if I can get the TPM 2.0 module to work. I've tried every single BIOS level setting and cleared it and initialized it using the GUI and the tpm.msc module and by using discrete powershell commands.

My only other first hand experience with enabling a TPM module was with an ASRock motherboard and in the UEFI BIOS it allowed me to generate a default key. The Dell BIOS doesn't have that option. When I used Powershell to try and generate the key it just error's out.

I expect there will be a lot of recent systems that will be Windows 11 capable if TPM and UEFI boot can get enabled. I already have UEFI Boot working on the Dell but after 2 weeks of trying the TPM module will never report that it's "Ready". (Note: it's been enabled/disabled and cleared in the BIOS numerous times!)

Anyone able to point me to a "real" troubleshooting resource? Other than the Microsoft Docs info on Initializing TPM I haven't found anything to help with troubleshooting a situation where the Docs guidance just plain doesn't work.

I'm still running 21H1 Windows 10 on this device and Windows seems to be running flawlessly.

Here's what the TPM looks like on my laptop:

tpm_not_ready.PNG

tpm_device.PNG

tpm_not_ready2.PNG

tpm_not_ready3.PNG

It appears like it should support the Key Attestation

tpm_supported_feature.PNG

Edit to add: since my original post I spent another 4 or 5 hours working on this including trying various Policy level and Registry level hacks.

From everything I'm reading it appears like I'll have to do a clean install of Windows to get this working.

I did some looking around on that particular error - Tpmready :False. Seems to indicate a incompatibility between the TPM chip and the OS being used. For grins have you tried it with W10 or a Server OS? What about a Linux TPM compatible distro? W11 being in dev I'd not be too surprised if there's numerous undocumented features.

Back