Bug or local problem?

HCHTech

Reaction score
Ok, humor (or humour) me, please. Do this:

1. Type "cmd" in the search box of the Windows 10 taskbar (home or pro, doesn't seem to matter)
2. Click on "Run as Administrator" on the right side of the search fly-up
3. Click 'Yes" on the UAC popup

Now. Does the command line box open BEHIND the search fly-up and you have to manually click somewhere to get the search thing out of the way so you can USE the command line?

I've noticed this on a few different computers - it does it on the laptop I'm typing on now, which is 21H2. Wondering if it's just me or some kind of UX bug in 21H2 or one of the updates since then.

Thanks!

Done using the exact steps given, on this machine runing Win10 21H2 Pro, the fly up does not go away and the admin command prompt is open behind it.

The search fly-up also does not go away if, instead of picking run as administrator from the right side options, I right click on Command Prompt in the search results column and choose run as administrator. But the position of the actual command prompt window does shift, slightly, such that the very top of the window frame is above the fly-up.

I know I have done both of these things before in the past, and the behavior then was as @phaZed describes. This is the first time I ever recall the search fly-up persisting.

By the way, this can be avoided via the WinKey+X invocation method, and choosing Command Prompt (Admin) from the pop-up menu or by right clicking on the start button and choosing the same thing from the menu that shows up.

If your machine has been switched to showing PowerShell in that menu, and you're not a PowerShell user, you can reverse that by going to Settings, Personalization, Taskbar Pane and throwing the toggle for replace command prompt with PowerShell to off.

I always just do Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open as admin. I'll check later on this other method.

Hmm tried it and the search box did not go away. I seem to remember a few days ago it wasn't doing this but I could be wrong.

I'm on Windows 10 21H2.

I seem to remember a few days ago it wasn't doing this but I could be wrong.

We are both sharing similar recollections. I've fired up Command Prompt, whether elevated to Admin or not, via all of the methods mentioned over time and never recall this "behind the search fly-up" behavior in the past. I would have been annoyed, dismissed the fly-up, and moved along and remembered that had it been occurring routinely.

Yeah, this is something fairly new, I think no more than a month old or so. There are other ways to gin up the command prompt, of course, I just noticed this particular behavior and wondered if it was just my machine or not. I guess not. :) Especially when connected remotely, I usually do either the search bar or the run box, though.

So....2x computers here. Both the latest, fully updated Win10Pro. And I'm doing it...Search...CMD...right click...run as...like HCH is stating in the OP.
My "desktop" computer, is joined to local active directory. I get the same symptom HCH mentions.
I'm home now and cracked my laptop open, joined to our AzureAD, not local AD, and...I also do not have UAC enabled, so I get that prompt of "Are you sure"...."Yes". That dialog appears to relax the pin up and let it collapse back down, so...the CMD prompt box comes to the top....like HCH wants.

Ok, humor (or humour) me, please. Do this:

1. Type "cmd" in the search box of the Windows 10 taskbar (home or pro, doesn't seem to matter)
2. Click on "Run as Administrator" on the right side of the search fly-up
3. Click 'Yes" on the UAC popup

Now. Does the command line box open BEHIND the search fly-up and you have to manually click somewhere to get the search thing out of the way so you can USE the command line?

I've noticed this on a few different computers - it does it on the laptop I'm typing on now, which is 21H2. Wondering if it's just me or some kind of UX bug in 21H2 or one of the updates since then.

Thanks!
Ha! You're right. It does happen and is a bit annoying, but that's okay. Only computer literate people can get around it ;)

Edition Windows 10 Business
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎11/‎12/‎2022
OS build 19045.2673
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

I have an older build. Let me update it and see if it fixes it.

The search fly-up disappears as soon as I click Run as Administrator. Win 11 Pro Version 22H2 (OS Build 22621.1413) on unsupported hardware.

Back