Bsod

numnutz

Reaction score
I have been working on a new PC build that keeps intimately blue screening on me. Even though the memory passed I replaced it. I have reinstalled the OS 3 times. I have checked the MB website for all the newest drivers. There are a couple newer bios updates that I have not done though. What happens occasionally is you will start the pc and it will go past post but the desktop will not load but you know its at the desktop because of the sound it plays. no errors are recorded when that happens until you force a reboot. It will blue screen again occasionally when you plug in a USB external flash drive or external drive into the front two usb ports.

I have run sfc a couple of times no issues, I did a smart scan and full scan on the Western Digital Black hard drive with no issues. anyone think its more driver related or power or MB?

==================================================
Filename : ntoskrnl.exe
Address In Stack : ntoskrnl.exe+44e14f
From Address : fffff800`02e4c000
To Address : fffff800`03431000
Size : 0x005e5000
Time Stamp : 0x521ea035
Time String : 8/28/2013 8:13:25 PM
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
File Description : NT Kernel & System
File Version : 6.1.7601.18247 (win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Company : Microsoft Corporation
Full Path : C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
==================================================

sorry should probably give more specs
Western Digital Black 1TB HD
ASUS Z87-K Mother Board
Crucial 4GB 1600 Memory
Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium
Thermaltake case with 450 watt power supply
Intel I3 3.4 Ghz processor

Last edited:
Could be I missed it, but did you post what the bugcheck code was?

Intimately? Blowing you a kiss before? (LOL!!! could not resist) I guess you mean intermittently.

For the case ports have you tried swapping around the cables and headers?

bug check code 0x000000f4

see attachment thanks

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 37
Intimately? Blowing you a kiss before? (LOL!!! could not resist) I guess you mean intermittently.

thanks Mark I needed a laugh today been frustrated with this all weekend I look bad with my client too. sorry about the spelling lol yes I do mean intermittently guess I rely to much on spell check to fix my spelling mistakes lol. No I have not swapped out the front usb wires its a brand new case if they are bad I am going to just send it back. never had this happen with usb ports before I have seen them totally dead, I have seen power related errors on them but not this and not sure if the INTERMITTEN no video past post is a second issue or related.

I enjoy building my own systems but there is less and less money in doing it for clients and when this happens just turns me off on the entire thing. rather, deploy, troubleshoot and repair someone elses computers... thanks!

I'd look into the BIOS updates. Also, due to the occasional no video, I would look into the driver. Remove it and go in search of a different version. Maybe use the PCI/VEN route to see if you can find something different. Have you tried a separate video card?

Check HDD SMART data. - Possible corruption when installing software if bad sectors are not reallocated.
Check Video Card - If integrated add dedicated, if dedicated try integrated if available, and swap for another card after.

Check for bad capacitors on the video card and motherboard as well.

Check PSU voltages under load.

Stress test with Parted Magic

Lastly try a Ubuntu, Mint, or Debian, install or live disk.

the video is on board HD 4400, I did do a smart scan and full hard drive scan with no issue found. I installed the latest driver for the video I could find. I will do a bios update and see what happens. if it still happens I will replace the power supply. frustrating thing is I do something like reimage, replace memory etc and can reboot 25 times, pound away trying to make it fail for 15 hours and nothing, then pack it up and bring it to my client and it fail within 20 minutes of setting it up (happened twice). how long do you pound away at something with no failures until you can feel confident the issue is resolved.

if it only happened there I would say its something electrical onsite but the video thing did happen on me in the shop. client was in a rush to get something installed I lost the PC sale they went to dell and I will install the system for them when it comes in. I just want to get this figured out and donate the system away.

If it blue screens when you plug up the USB front ports then you have either miswired the front ports, grounded the front ports. Unplug your front USB ports and see if the unit stabilizes.

Otherwise replace the power supply.

Seems there were problems with the USB ports according to some reviews. The feedback on this board isn't the best in the world, neither on Amazon nor the Egg.

10 BIOS updates? Sacre Bleu!

I'd say make everything as vanilla as possible, certainly no USB "boost", no bells or whistles. Go with failsafe settings in the BIOS.

Or maybe see if you can get your supplier to take it back and get something else.

Also, rather than the SMART self test, check the SMART report and see what it says for UDMA / CRC errors, just in case you have a bad cable or sata port.

If it blue screens when you plug up the USB front ports then you have either miswired the front ports, grounded the front ports. Unplug your front USB ports and see if the unit stabilizes.

Otherwise replace the power supply

not sure how I could have miswired the front usb ports there are two ports one 2.0 and one 3.0. Two separate wires. a big fat blue cord that goes in one port on the mother board that only fits one way for the 3.0 and similar for the 2.0

Seems there were problems with the USB ports according to some reviews. The feedback on this board isn't the best in the world, neither on Amazon nor the Egg.

10 BIOS updates? Sacre Bleu!

I'd say make everything as vanilla as possible, certainly no USB "boost", no bells or whistles. Go with failsafe settings in the BIOS.

Or maybe see if you can get your supplier to take it back and get something else.

I usually take reviews on retail websites with a grain of salt but.....

4 out of 5 eggsupdate the bios!

Pros: solid board for my Haswell i5 after I got the issues worked out

Cons: the bios that came on it had major issues with usb devices

going to do an update right now.

I just updated the BIOS, went to put a CD in the drive and now it will not read any cd's I put in it. bios and windows see's the drive and it has power but will not read anything. just a coincidence that it worked this morning and not now since bios update? guess I will take it out and test on another system to see. this entire build is cursed LOL.

It didn't reset the BIOS to UEFI did it? If that's the case, it will only boot off a UEFI enabled disk.

FremontPC
It didn't reset the BIOS to UEFI did it? If that's the case, it will only boot off a UEFI enabled disk.

Sorry have to admit to not exactly understand what you mean. It is a UEFI board. I did pop the burner out and put it into another system and it does not work in there either. it will not read anything when trying to boot to it or within windows itself.

Well, if it won't work in another system, then it sounds like that DVD drive is hosed. You might check to see if it shows up in BIOS, but likely it's bad or you have a bad SATA cable.

If the BIOS is set for UEFI boot, you have to have a UEFI enabled disk to boot from, otherwise you have to set BIOS to "Legacy" to boot from a CD/DVD.

For instance, with UEFI enabled, a system won't see a Win8 upgrade disk on boot, as that DVD isn't UEFI enabled. It will see a Win 8 Enterprise Trial disk though, as that IS UEFI enabled.

it does see it in the bios and it sees it in windows too. gives it a drive letter, it has power and if you put a cd in the drive and click on the dvd drive you get a message to put a cd in the drive and it pops open to put one in even though there is one in it, tried it with the windows 7 dvd and others just will not launch anything or realize anything is in it. its dead, along with the rest of the system lol. I reached out to my d&H rep going to see if I can return the MB, case and dvd player. thanks!

Back