Brand new Lenovo 17" Ideapad 3-17IML05, Trackpad doesn't work (not even showing in Device manager)

drnick5

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I bought a brand new Lenovo 17" Ideapad 3-17IML05 laptop (6 of them actually) and as I typically do, I wiped the computer and loaded the latest version of Win 10
during the setup process, the touchpad didn't work, so I had to plug in a USB mouse.

But even after installing all the drivers on Lenovo's site, the touchpad still refuses to work! It's not even listed in device manager.
I checked BIOS, and there's no option to enable or disable touchpad.

I did a ton of digging around on the internet, and it seems to be a common problem, but most people seemed to get it resolved by installing the chipset, Serial IO and the Intelligent thermal solution driver. But even after doing that, still no trackpad being listed in Device manager.

Anyone run into this before? I remember years ago I ran into this on an Acer I believe but had to make a setting change in BIOS to get it to show up, but theres no option for that on this computer

Did you try on another one?
Fn-something key combo?
Yeah, I did try F6 and Fn+F6 (which is the command to turn on and off the touchpad) but no luck.

I even went through the pain staking process of calling Lenovo.... which was basically just a waste of an hour of my life.

Do you have an 'unknown device' in device manager? Get the hardware code from that and google it. That should lead you to a driver that will work.

Do you have an 'unknown device' in device manager? Get the hardware code from that and google it. That should lead you to a driver that will work.
Nope! No unknown devices, everything is installed.

I took out another laptop, and just booted it with the image it had preinstalled. touchpad works and its showing in there as a HID compliant mouse.

For fun, I swapped the hard drive into the 1st laptop, and it works just fine, so its definitely not a broken touchpad, and is absolutely a software issue

Ok, on the working laptop, get the hardware code for the touchpad and google it. That should lead you to a working driver.

Edit: since there isn't an unknown device in device manager, it doesn't look like Windows even knows it's there. Are you sure the cable is connected? Is it disabled in BIOS? +1 for Mark's idea of booting to Linux to test it.

Is this on only one or all? I'd start by booting to a Linux distro just to make sure it works.

I had only wiped 1 computer as I was planning on installing all of their software then doing a sysprep and imaging it to the other 5 laptops.

I did boot up another laptop, which works fine using its preinstalled windows. I then shut down, pulled the hard drive and put it in the 1st laptop, touchpad works fine.

I guess my only recourse is to get a 3rd laptop, boot it into audit mode, get the software installed and sysprep that, then bump it down to the rest. I usually prefer to use a base windows image so its as clean as possible.... but apparently thats not an option.

I had only wiped 1 computer as I was planning on installing all of their software then doing a sysprep and imaging it to the other 5 laptops.

I did boot up another laptop, which works fine using its preinstalled windows. I then shut down, pulled the hard drive and put it in the 1st laptop, touchpad works fine.

I guess my only recourse is to get a 3rd laptop, boot it into audit mode, get the software installed and sysprep that, then bump it down to the rest. I usually prefer to use a base windows image so its as clean as possible.... but apparently thats not an option.
I've seen symptoms like this a handful of times in the past. The OEM's have their "secret sauce" which prevents somethings from working properly. Sometimes they'll have some OEM master utility which resolves the problem. But I agree, I'd just cleanup and sysprep one of the OEM installs.

I find the best solution for Lenovo is using the Lenovo update software I forget the exact name. Download it from Lenovo. It inspects the hardware and downloads it's drivers. That was the only way I could get Bluetooth working on one particular machine. Not even SDIO could save it :eek:

What? I've only encountered this a handful of times. The last one was a cheap nasty $200 Lenovo.
Some laptops I have have had - not cheap stoneskippers either. I think it is due to the win10 install initial devices - before it actually recogs them on windows logon. Though you still have encountered this a few times yourself, but still feel the need to whinge as consistent as a BSOD.

Last edited:
Though you still have encountered this a few times yourself, but still feel the need to whinge as consistent as a BSOD.
Yes, because you said MOST laptops, which simply isn't true. I encounter BSODs waaaaaaaaay more often than laptops without functioning trackpads on a fresh install of Windows.

I find the best solution for Lenovo is using the Lenovo update software I forget the exact name. Download it from Lenovo. It inspects the hardware and downloads it's drivers. That was the only way I could get Bluetooth working on one particular machine. Not even SDIO could save it :eek:
Lenovo Vantage. I install this on every Lenovo I work on.

Hey folks! Just to update you on this.... You're not gonna believe what the problem was... the trackpad was DOA on the 1st laptop! All the others were fine!

So I had 6 identical laptops, took out the first one, wiped it and reinstalled windows with latest version (which is when I discovered the problem) after spending hours trying everything to get the trackpad working. I tried another one, but didn't do a wipe of windows (used the factory installed windows OS) and it worked fine, which is why I assumed it was something with the drivers. After getting this one loaded and sysprepped then imaged, on a hunch, I took another new one out of the box, wiped and reloaded it, and low and behold, the touchpad worked!

If I had chosen any of the other laptops to prep first, when I got to this one, i would have immediately realized it was DOA. But nope! I grabbed the 1 out of 6 that was DOA, lucky me!

Back