[SOLVED] Blank HP Laptop Screen (Damaged Panel?)

osanders

Reaction score
Hey guys I am thinking the panel is damaged but figured I would ask here in case of other possible issues. I am working on a friend's laptop, long story short it was dropped when bringing it to me for another issue, I found out about this after we couldn't get the screen to come on. The display is completely blank, no cracks, touchscreen works ok and external display works fine. I have completely torn it down to the panel and reseated all connections and still no video. The laptop was behind in updates which have now been updated. I have found panels for reasonable prices just wondering if anything else I may need to check?

Thanks,

It sounds like the screen for sure.

Do you not have any old ones, even if it's broken to swap and test?
Thank you for the reply, I think I've narrowed it down to a possible software issue. Earlier the screen came on once until I did a restart and was back to not coming on. I tried windows restore but failed but I then performed a bios update and now it has been coming on more consistently. This laptop only has an HDMI port and I'm currently connected via an HDMI adapter which may now be causing signal issue since the bios update. I will continue to monitor it and if need will reinstall Windows also thinking about the coin battery.

Is the screen completely blank or can you see anything with a torch? It could be that the backlight has broken/is failing.

Back